PDA

View Full Version : Phrygian Bass solo

satch_master
10-03-2005, 05:31 AM
The bass chords are very simple.

E7 G7 F#7

I used the phrygian mode( flat 2,3,6,7) because it fit very nicely over the 7th chords. 4 mins is alot of soloing, so i kinda ranout of licks at the end and just ran the scales up and down. It's quite fast but there isn't much musical value, it is just me having an indulgent play over the chords. :D .
I have been playing bass for around 4 years now and learning guitar has vastly improved my capabilities on the instrument. I recorded with my Fender Jazz bass USA. :D I have better technique on bass than guitar, can't sweep pick for **** and my AP is somewhat sloppy, my legato is good but that is because i have a strong left hand from lots of bass playing.

UKRuss
10-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Satchdude, Where's the attachment??:confused:

I'm intrigued to see how you made the Phrygian work over dom7 chords, isn't there a bit of a clash with the 3rd?

Los Boleros
10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Satchdude, Where's the attachment??:confused:

I'm intrigued to see how you made the Phrygian work over dom7 chords, isn't there a bit of a clash with the 3rd?Actually, this is a pretty exiting group of chords to play with.

Over the E7, You definately have Harmonic and melodic minor,(phrigian dominant mode).

Over the G7, A aeolian is what I would stick with.

The F7 is very interesting choice. You can use fragments of the B dim scale,(half-whole) or have fun with A Dim arpegios. Also too, I would consider an altered form of the A minor scale that includes the Eb note. (That would be the fun note)

UKRuss
10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Cool choices Rudy!

but no strict Phrygian as such... hmmmm:confused:

Apple-Joe
11-14-2005, 11:49 PM
The solo itself is interesting. I like the Phrygian mode, I enjoy listening to other people's approaches, as I am not very creative when using the Phrygian mode myself. I end up doing the same rhythmic root-minor 2nd-root-minor7-root melody.

However, in your recording I struggled hearing the chords. How about using a guitar for them instead? Or, in one way or another, eliminate the muddy sound . Maybe it is nothing wrong with the sound after all, but then the volume of the backing should be increased.

UKRuss
11-15-2005, 07:42 AM
I'm still intrigued to hear why Phrygian is a suitable scale choice over dom7 chords...

Anyone?

satch_master
11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
phyrgian - b2,b3,b6,b7
dom 7 - 1,3,5,b7

the 3rd should clash as your obviously playing a major chord over a minor scale. If it sounds ok , i use it, simple as that. Maybe a theory guru, like Boleros or Vidkid could reveal all!

UKRuss
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
See, for me that's why it doesn't fit.

The 3rds clash. I don't think we need a theory guru on that one. Minor scales don't fit over major or dom chords.

How about Phrygian Dominant?

That has the major 3rd;)

ashc
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Russ, it's the magic blue note - you just need something to tweak you out and you'll be fine with this. . . . :)

Actually, I guess thanks to the blues we are used to hearing the two thirds clashing and microtonal stuff inbetween especially over dominant chords - And I'm not trying to start anything in saying that... :eek: Actually I think one develops an instinctive approach to managing that clash from jamming the blues.

But your also correct that maybe Mr Satch should try some Phrygian Dominant too on the same stuff.

UKRuss
11-15-2005, 10:57 AM
A fair point, but then for me it's not Phrygian in nature it's more minor pent...But on the other hand as Satch correctly points out, let's call it whatever the hell we like, if it sounds good to you then music it is.:D

ashc
11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
A fair point, but then for me it's not Phrygian in nature it's more minor pent...But on the other hand as Satch correctly points out, let's call it whatever the hell we like, if it sounds good to you then music it is.:D

But minor pent is only the same thing with two notes missing...sort of minor "neutral" really from a modal perspective it's not really anything different. e.g. It's not like if you are using dorian touches on the blues that you suddenly can't do the normal stuff around the 3rd anymore because you ventured beyond the pentatonic framework (I'm rambling now aren't I....)

But yes, if it sounds good it is good - anything goes.

UKRuss
11-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Agaiun true of course, but for me those two notes make the whole world of difference. i.e. I never refer to minor pent work as Phrygian or vice versa really.

Where's Hairball when we need him;)

forgottenking2
11-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Another way to look at it would be:

Phrygian

R b9 #9 4 5 b6 b7

Dominant

R 3 5 b7

So if you have a plain dominant by using the phrygian scale you have both alterations on the 9th degree while leaving the 5th alone (so it won't clash with your dominant 7 chord)

I see why it works. It's one of those choices though... not right for everyone. Just like Wasabi

Kurisu
02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
For me, if it sounds good, it is good. Who cares if it's "supposed" to clash? ;)

edit - Ah, I see this has been said before. I should always read everything in every post. Stupid, stupid. :)