PDA

View Full Version : Getting tighter rhythmicly

yaclaus
10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I'll just cut right to the chase:

I've been feeling more secure on my play lately, like I'm more focused when playing and in better shape to evaluate my own performance... that has resulted in a rather irritating way. I feel like I'm grooving, not playing outside the rhythm, but neither do I feel "inside", I more feel like on top. The best thing so far for me to get in groove has been to overpractice simple things, but still I can't just feel the perfect groove when I'm playing, how do you try/have have you done to get REAL into the groove?

Claus

hairballxavier
10-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Stomp your feet and bang your head like Angus Young. That should get you really into the groove. Turning everything up real loud and being able to hear everything helps too.

dusura
10-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Playing along with a metronome helps. Sounds boring but it does help you get tighter. Obviously playing with a band/recordings helps a lot.

Also, if you record yourself you will hear how good/bad your timing is very objectively.

Los Boleros
10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Playing along with a metronome helps. Sounds boring but it does help you get tighter. Obviously playing with a band/recordings helps a lot.

Also, if you record yourself you will hear how good/bad your timing is very objectively.These are the two best suggestions. One more thing though, as the metronome gets easier, try it with fewer beats to really force you to keep time on your own.

Spino
10-08-2005, 11:26 AM
This is an exercise I used to do for groove/timing .
It requires a drum machine /seqencer.Program the drum sequence
for the relevant song or part that you want to work on say,
it's 16 bars,but leave a gap or mute say four bars ,so now
youve got a sequence of 12 bars of drums and 4 bars of silence
looping.
So you play along with the track and when the four bars of
silence come you play on and keep the groove goin ,the trick
is to land on the 1 of Bar 1 after the sequence completes itself.
With time you can lenghten the gap of silence and vary where it
comes in the loop. Have'nt done this for sometime but I remember
it used to make me laugh so I guess that makes it a fun exercise .
Might be somethin for ya ! :cool: :)

Bizarro
10-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Nice one, Spino!

Yeah, jam with CDs, drum machines, etc, and be very strict about your timing. If you practice sloppy, you'll perform sloppy... Try recording the practice w/ a drum machine and listen closely to your mistakes.

www.wholenote.com has a "Groovebuilder" which can be used as a drum machine if you don't have one.

Spino
10-08-2005, 07:39 PM
..............aaaahhh! yeah! I just remembered..........................
.....Reggae tunes ...Bob Marleys "Survival"...well all his stuff really,
great songs, simple chord sequences and great grooves ...
...great for 2 & 3 accents...... excellent !!!
Wanna get a good groove?Then slo the Mo Fo down !!!
Ahh Yeah! :cool:

roy_l
10-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Try Guni's article about improving the rythmic feel. It's really helpfull.

bdemon
10-26-2005, 06:51 AM

Also, if you record yourself you will hear how good/bad your timing is very objectively.

Yeah, this is a good one. I practice with a metronome regularly, but then I'll try to record some funky groove and gag at the playback. What the hell's up with my rhythm? I practice! But I haven't listened to myself in awhile. No worry...I keep recording the part and playing it back. At some point I feel out where the groove is.