PDA

View Full Version : need help with chord progressions

polyrhythm
02-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Hello,

I stopped taking music lessons a few months ago due to financial reasons and this site has been my main source of musical knowledge. I just want to say thanks for a great site before I get started.

Anyways, before I left my teacher I was getting into playing over chord progressions like I-IV-V and ii-V-I. Now I am to the point where I understand them a bit better and want to move on to harder stuff. If anyone can suggest some progressions and maybe some modes to get me started I would be much appreciative!

On another note, I was wondering what I could do to develop a better ear. Early on I always worried more about technique as opposed to ear training and later on when I was jamming with friends, I would know what I wanted to play, I just wasn't able to get it out of my brain onto the guitar. I have since gotten a bit better, but I was wondering if anyone had some exercises or examples that I could thrown into my practice schedule.

If it helps at all, my main guitar influences are Allan Holdsworth, Al DiMeola, Trey Azagthoth, and The Reverend Horton Heat.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

metallibeast
02-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by polyrhythm
On another note, I was wondering what I could do to develop a better ear. Early on I always worried more about technique as opposed to ear training and later on when I was jamming with friends, I would know what I wanted to play, I just wasn't able to get it out of my brain onto the guitar. I have since gotten a bit better, but I was wondering if anyone had some exercises or examples that I could thrown into my practice schedule.

What's up?

Welcome to Ibreathemusic.com

Here are some ET articles. (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/subcat/2)

Hopefully you will find them to be useful.

-Beast