PDA

View Full Version : Reading Music...

GuitarSoul24
11-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok, I want to get serious about reading music on guitar. I mean I know the basics, like the notes FACE are on the spaces and on the lines are EGBDF(every good boy does fine). Thats about it, I mostly just use tabs and my ear. So are there any good sites or books to learn how to read music effectively? Thanks.

Poparad
11-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Buy some books of music and read away. Etude books for clarinet or flute work well too, and beginner's piano books are good for reading chords. All that matters is having music in front of you to practice reading with.

silent-storm
11-15-2005, 02:17 AM
I fully agree...If you are just starting out, as long as it has notes on it it's just as good as anything else out there.

Although I do recomend Jerry Bergonzi's 5th volumn titled "Thesaurus of Intervalic Melodies" for more advanced reading.

EricV
11-15-2005, 09:48 AM
I recommend "Music Reading for guitar" ( I that was the title ) by David Oakes. Itīs a book by MI Press. I worked with excerpts of it with some of my students, and itīs a really good method, starting with some very basic stuff, moving on to more advanced stuff
Eric

Danster
11-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm using William Leavitt's "A Modern Method for Guitar". It will probably take me a significant fraction of the remainder of my life to work it all the way through the three volumes. However, I'm enjoying it, cuz it has really helped me play more cleanly (the accuracy of my right and left hands has improved noticeably), I really think it'll give me a better understanding of music theory, it has forced me to develop some self-discipline, and . . . . just this past week I was able to for the first time successfully play a classical piece (a very easy one) from a songbook which had no tabs, and that was extremely cool.

EricV
11-16-2005, 01:16 AM
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/reviews/article/2

Danster
11-16-2005, 02:25 AM
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/reviews/article/2

Yup, that review was my main impetus for buying the book. Thanks Guni!

GuitarSoul24
11-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys, im going to Barnes and Nobles this weekend to check out the books you recommended, and if I can't find them I might order online. :D

snufeldin
11-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Why buy a book? Just start reading, then move it to different positions. A good exercise is to randomly place notes on a blank staff, then when you finish with it, turn it upside down.

perth
11-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Why buy a book? Just start reading, then move it to different positions. A good exercise is to randomly place notes on a blank staff, then when you finish with it, turn it upside down.

and read it backwards, bottom to top, and even read one measure at a time from a random place in the page. the idea is to take in an entire measure all at once without fixing your eyes on each note individually.

this takes years of practice, just as learning to read english didnt happen overnight.

good luck.

kovu
11-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I need to learn to read music mainly for bass not tab though I can read that but on the course I am douing at college they said I need to learn to read music for the next level and I cant yet even though we have done at least three lessons on it. I finding it hard to understand it annoying though cos I think I understand do something and it turns out wrong