PDA

View Full Version : At least once in a lifetime

Rock_Rocket
02-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

quite a while ago I came across a really interesting question (guess I saw it in one of these "questionnaires to a famous player", I dunno). The question was like "To what piece of music should everybody listen to at least once in his life?".
And maybe you can add what's so special about the piece you've chosen...

Right now, I think my choice would be Antonio Vivaldi: The Four Seasons, Winter (Largo). The melody's simply incredible!

What would you choose?

Regards!

Rock_Rocket

EricV
02-15-2003, 02:28 PM
I couldnīt possibly narrow it down to only one song or album.. and my choice would be a different one next week anyway, but...

( in no particular order )
Albums:
Buckethead- "Electric Tears" album
Jason Becker - "Perspectives" Album

Songs / Pieces
"Where Were YOu"-Jeff Beck
"Eruption" ( because of its sound and agressiveness )
JS Bach- Toccata and Fugue in F
"People Get Ready"- Beck / Stewart

But again, my choices would like all different next week
Eric

PS: I do like that question, too

metaljustice83
02-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Johnny Cash's- Hurt which was written by trent reznor

Schooligo
02-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Changes everyday!!

Just like Eric, I have so many I would literally be here for hours if I were to name them all but these are a few that at present come to mind & have always been inspirational.
some of which I stated in this thread:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=819

some others that come to mind,

Bach-Toccata & Fugue in D

Rush-YYZ

pretty much anything by the Dixie Dregs,

Yngwie Malmsteen-Alcatrazz album

Chuck Berry-Johnny B. Goode

Led Zeppelin-Rain Song

pretty much anything by Michael Hedges

many versions of Maleguena

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue

etc, etc, etc. :cool:

IRM
02-17-2003, 04:10 AM
Jason Becker - "Perspectives" Album

Absolutely, I would've said the same thing.
And also...

Albums:
Queen-A Day at the races
Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak
Duran Duran-Big Thing

Songs:
Queen-Nevermore(It seems like Freddie poured out his entire heart into this song...if you've never heard it, find it and listen to it)
Beethoven-Fur Elise
Right Said Fred-I'm too sexy(...just kidding :D)
Vinnie Moore-Morning Star
Cacophony-Images

...But all these choices will probably change within the next 5 mintues.

Bongo Boy
02-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Mandy, Barry Manilow
Danke Shein, Wayne Newton

Guni
02-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Oooh Mandy .... great song :D

'The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny' - Kurt Weill
'Carmina Burana' - Carl Orff
'So What' - Miles Davis

The Mechanix
02-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey dudes!

I'd have to say

Roots Bloody Roots by Sepultura and Rust in Peace by Megadeth

C ya

Mechanix

EricV
02-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Guni

'So What' - Miles Davis

Guni, funny that you mention it. on Saturday I went through my CD collection and I decided to listen to "Kind Of Blue"... hadnīt listened to it since the GIT-times, at least.
And I have listened to that album like 30 times since Saturday. So I guess Iīd add either "So What", "Blue In Green" or the whole album to my list...

Eric

NP: Sketches Of Spain- Miles Davis

Bongo Boy
02-24-2003, 06:07 AM
It would be cool if you guys could say a few words about So What in particular--why you selected it, what you like about it, etc.

It's one of those things I'd have to listen to 100 times before I'd ever recognize it the 101st time--and I struggle to find the patience to listen to it all the way thru. I'd like to approach listening to Miles Davis in a different way, I guess, so I at least can appreciate what's going on. I'm not 'trying to like it', I'd just like to know why it got your attention--and I don't have Kinda Blue.

NP: Sweet Child of Mine, Guns n' Roses

EricV
02-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey Bongo,

Well, I recommend you get "Kind Of Blue", itīs a really cool album and a classic too.

Well, when it comes to WHY I like "So What" and all the other tunes, the whole album, I am not gonna talk about scales, chord progressions or smart songwriting-moves.

What I like about the album is the overall sound. I dig music from that time ( mid- to late 50īs ), bebop and the early "cool" sound.
I read "Miles" ( the autobiography of Miles Davis ), and he mentioned that he went into the studio with just some basic sketches of the tunes. He wanted the musicians to improvise and elaborate on those basic "scripts", to have more improvisation and surprises as opposed to a whole album full of completely composed tunes.
So I like that approach, and I think you can hear it.
I furthermore like the songs and their moods, relaxed, cool, with lots of dynamics.

And the musicians were top-notch... Canonball Adderley, JohN Coltrane etc.
As a guitarist, as a MUSICIAN, I can always get inspired by listening to music like this. Just to hear those guys improvise, to hear their different sounds and way of phrasing really is like a journey for the mind. EVeryone hear has a very distinct voice, and I love to hear that interaction, like listening to a good, interesting conversation.

And finally, the album brings back some memories cuz back at the GIT, we used to listen to it, analyze it, jam on it for hours. I still love to jam and improvise on the simple but effective riff of "So What", even though I am not saying that I am getting close to the "deepness" those guys reached during that session.
Blah Blah :)
Eric

Guni
02-24-2003, 12:51 PM
I can only agree to everything Eric said.

'Kind of Blue' got me into Jazz - this was the first album that made me think 'Oh, wow - what the heck is going on there? I wanna understand, feel and be able to play something like that'.

To me, the 'So What' solos sum up what improvisation is about: telling a story, interaction between musicians, transmitting a spontaneous inside feeling ouside onto the instrument.

Guni

snufeldin
02-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Albums:
Coldplay- A Rush of Blood to the Head
Greg Howe- Introspection
Joe Bonamassa- New Day Yesterday (Everybody should check this guy out)
Radiohead- Every single cd, except maybe Pablo Honey

Songs:
U2- In a little while
Led Zeppelin- Communication Breakdown (The reason I like this song is because of Mr. Plant saying "Ahhhh suck----" I have no clue what he says... it's almost as if he made up his own curse word because it's so powerful, it is perfect for going into the solo)
Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven; I know this is cliche... but the song is set up so beautifully, I think that the reason the guitar solo sounds so wonderful is because it is set up for so perfectly)Led Zeppelin- Since I've Been loving you

"Don't get around much anymore"-just a very good song
"The Girl from Ipanema"
"Take Five"

There's also this new guitarist around that is amazing.... his name's Russell Lloyd. I've seen him locally, but you'll soon here about him.

EricV
02-26-2003, 08:18 PM
See, I am already adding to my list :D

Hey Schooligo, thanks for bringing it up:
Toccata & Fugue in Dm by JS Bach- Itīs such a beautiful peice of music. I remember hearing an organ-version of it on a crappy old tape, and I was blown away by the power of it...
BTW, I usually donīt like most guitar-versions of it ( a lot of "shredders" have covered that one ), btu Alex Masi recorded a pretty good version of it, mixing classical and electric guitar... very cool

Always With Me, Always With You- Joe Satriani... Beautiful...

Little Wing- Jimi Hendrix There is an obscure live-version of it. Dunno where or when it was recorded, but it ends with a Wah Wah-solo, and you can hardly hear the drums. That was the first Hendrix-song I ever heard, and it simply blew me away

Purple Rain - Prince ... WHat an incredible song

Eric

EricV
02-26-2003, 08:20 PM
By the way, at Amazon ( hereīs a LINK (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/flex-sign-in-done/002-7710845-6562435) to the download-page ) you can download a REALLY cool version of "Always With Me..:" by RON THAL... FOR FREE !!! All you need is an account
The manīs a genius and a really cool guy... and funny

I simply LOVE what he did to the tapping-part and the solo afterwards !

Eric

Schooligo
02-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks Eric!

It's great your back, hope your feeling better & doing well!!!

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone,
you have mentioned some albums & musicians that I am not that familiar with, but I'm quickly becoming more educated as to their music, style, musicianship etc. :)

This is yet another example of what a great resource the IBreathe site is!!