PDA

View Full Version : Bass Exercise Calendar Anyone??

JohnJumper
12-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Any of you bass dudes interested in starting a Bass calendar like us guitar guys did in the Guitar Technique forum? Check out the guitar calendar we started. There are several guitarists from iBreatheMusic contributing exercises.

http://www.365practicesessions.com

Are there bass technique exercises? ;)

If you guys can contribute enough information I can start a bass subdomain or include them on the same calendar. Now that I have the calendar infrastructure built up it would be easy to start one.

gersdal
12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
A bass exercise calender would be great too, but I can't help you much there. All my bass exercises are walking bass lines along with the metronome... Probably a little boring for real bass players. Is it possible to writean exercise on Victor Wotten bass technique? Slapping?

satch_master
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Sounds good but i don't know if i could do this.
I'm not really into that Victor Wooten jazz stuff much and i can't play it. I admire it for it's technical ability but that stuff just doesn't do anything for me.
If it is a variety of styles and techniqes that would be great. I can slap but im not a big fan of it. I prefer the traditional rock bassists along the lines of JPJones, Geezer Butler, Cliff Burton etc. If you need some ideas i can think of some stuff. Scales, hand dexterity and co-ordination, arpeggioes, chords, soloing and melodic ideas over backings, different styles, playing with distortion...

JohnJumper
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Satch,

Those ideas sound great. I would not be able to contribute to the exercises for bass at all because I am not a bass player. I own a bass but thats it. With the guitar calendar I can fill in if I don't have enough exercises but on a bass one I would not and I would have to rely on others to contribute. I would probably use the bass calendar to get better...

satch_master
12-08-2005, 03:15 AM
I can do some stuff for you. Just tell me how or what i need and i can make a few lesson and stuff. It is also a great way to re-visit my theory and scale knowledge.
I've got got good ideas.

Spino
12-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Sadly, this seems to goin nowhere fast for those of you
who like the idea but don't/can't participate there is a
book,(Is'nt there always) by David Overthrow called 30
day Bass Workout.I never actually used it, it was one of
those books that you see and you think it could be useful
so you buy,and wait for a rainy day.Somehow it got relegated
to the cellar.Anyway I just had another look through it,
and it seems to be the biz. It's got all sorts of exercises ,
warm-up's ,strength builders ,arps,stretches, dexterity,
synchronisation ,blah!blah! Think I'm gonna give it a shot
over the next month... and see what kinda results it brings. Isbn 0-7390-2342-X :cool:

JohnJumper
12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I am willing to set up a calendar. However, I have recieved no bass exercises. If you have some I will start collecting them. Send them to:

NewExercise@365practicesessions.com

And I can setup a bass subdomain. I will set one up as soon I as Start getting exercises.

satch_master
12-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Do you require power/guitar pro tabs or is standard ASCI tab notation fine? To tell you the truth i couldn't transcribe in guitar pro if my life depended on it. I can do audio recordings of the exercises and i can type up normal tabs and explain everything in clear , basic English. I should get to work on a few exercises.

JohnJumper
12-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Standard ASCII notation is fine. I can convert them to powertab easily for you. I am looking forward to your input. I will work on putting a Bass calendar header together.

Torin
01-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Will have some exercises and a relatively easy solo up soon...

JohnJumper
01-15-2006, 05:44 AM
I have created a Bass Exercise Calendar at the following location (no exercises posted yet):

http://bass.365practicesessions.com

I have a few exercises that Torin has provided. I will be working on getting them up tomorrow. We will need a lot more exercises to fill this calendar out. You bass players get rolling on those exercises. Go to the site to see how to contribute. I will not be able to fill in with my own exercises since I do not play bass :( ...so I need you guys and gals to build this calendar.

satch_master
01-16-2006, 04:39 AM
here is 2 basic exercises. I think i am finally getting the knack of how to use guitar pro. You accept guitar pro don't you?
One is just a basic A minor scale ascending and then descending across four strings. The other exercise is a simple octave slap riff in a basic single note rhythm of quarter beats. I can provide explanations for these basis exercises but first i would like to know if guitar pro i good. If not i can convert the sound files to MIDI and then export ASCI tab files for you. Please let me know and i will make some more lessons. Hopefully some more advanced ones.
Just figured i cant upload .gp4 files on here. great.

satch_master
01-16-2006, 04:44 AM
Here is the midi and pdf.

"Basic octave Slap- This is a basic quarter note rhythm which is quite simple for begineers to work on. Slap the E string with your thumb and pluck the octave notes with either your index or middle finger. These type of basslines are frequently used in funk and disco music, to name a few. Although the rhythm is simple keep note to make sure you hit the strings properly and get a slap sound out of it."

satch_master
01-16-2006, 04:51 AM
"A minor scale- The minor scale is derive from the flatted 3rd, 6th and 7th notes of the major scale. It is frequently used in many styles of music ranging from heavy metal to rock to classical. This is a simple A minor scale pattern which is in simle quarter notes. Start slowly and work up your speed progressively. It is important to play the notes accurately and cleanly. Scales are excellent for right and left hand finger co-ordination and dexterity. They are also an invaluable tool for improvisation, which i may discuss in future lessons. These scale patterns are known as 3PS or 3 notes per string scale patterns. A good guideline is one finger per fret. The scale starts on the root A and ascends up to the octave and then decends back to the root. The last note is an A minor chord. You can play this chord by striking over all the strings or strumming them like on a guitar."

JohnJumper
01-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks Satch...I will add these in. I am not using Guitar Pro for the calendar. I am using Power Tab because it is free and very easy to use. Guitar Pro must be purchased. you can get the Power Tab program at: http://www.power-tab.net/ - it is a free download. I will convert these exercises and add them to the library. I am working on Torin's right now.

Additionally, I would suggest using the e-mail to the calendar to submit the exercises. Otherwise, we will begin having two copies of th exercises in threads and the calendar. Could get messy.

Good to see you guys contributing!! I know it is an effort but eventually we could have something pretty cool if we keep it up!! Thanks!!

JohnJumper
01-16-2006, 05:30 AM
I just noticed...There must be a lot of bass players in Australia ;)

Madaxeman
01-16-2006, 11:23 AM
This idea is overdue! I have been playing bass for the last few months, and it is much harder to find as much info as you can with the 6-string.
And there are so few bass players...didn't Spinal Tap's 'Big Bottom' inspire anyone?

JohnJumper
01-16-2006, 03:17 PM
The problem right now is we do not have very many contributions so it is going to be a lot more sparse than the guitar calendar. Send in some contributions... We need them. It is going to take time to build the library... The guitar stuff - I started with an exercise library of 50 Exercises of my own and we have had a lot of contribution from others. The bass one we are starting at zero...

JohnJumper
01-17-2006, 02:42 AM
The first Bass Calendar day starts tomorrow (Tues 17 Jan)... We only have one exercise per day and at this time we will last to Friday (4 exercises). If you have exercises now is the time to send them in...I will put them on the calendar as I get them...

satch_master
01-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Ok, i will need to get to work and make some new lessons. Try something a bit more advanced :)
Sorry, i will do them in power tab next time and email them instead.

satch_master
01-21-2006, 02:21 AM
No offense but i think it is very difficult and unrealistic to get 365 bass exercises on there, one each day for a year. I can try my best. I noticed my exercises were not uploaded on them. Are they too simple? Sorry, this is my first time using tab notation and i still fnd it difficult to use.

mattblack850
01-21-2006, 12:06 PM
No offense but i think it is very difficult and unrealistic to get 365 bass exercises on there, one each day for a year. I can try my best. I noticed my exercises were not uploaded on them. Are they too simple? Sorry, this is my first time using tab notation and i still fnd it difficult to use.

Hey, Satch, you don't need to write 365 different exercises dude!!!
Have a look at the guitar calender for some ideas!!! I think the idea would be to have more bass specific exercises rather than using some of the guitar ones!!;)

http://www.365practicesessions.com/36520061/default.asp

JohnJumper
01-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Sorry, Satch they are not too simple...My family and I have been under the weather this week and I was not able to get to them. It has been a bad week for me also at work. Keep the exercises coming I will get to them as soon as I can.

I have been able to keep the Guitar one going steady because I do have a lot of exercises that I can schedual out for a week or two in advance - I can get ahead so when I do not have time you don't notice the break.

satch_master
01-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Sorry to hear man. Take it easy and i hope everything works out.

JohnJumper
01-26-2006, 05:06 AM
Hey Satch...Let's shoot for a 7-day calendar first. That might make it feel a bit more do-able. I can set the calendar to repeat every seven days. Once we get that we can start trying for a 14 day calendar.

Crucifix
01-27-2006, 12:27 AM
I wish I could contribute, unfortunately I don't play base.

Spino
01-27-2006, 08:42 PM
....Be sending some stuff soon.
Later : :cool: