PDA

View Full Version : Andy LaRouque

Asse
02-20-2003, 09:28 PM
I have a question to the teqnique he uses a lot, I think you know what I have in mind (hopefully) - it has kinda become his trademark. I have an idea of what he's doing with the whammy, just punching it so it vibrates very fast, but how can he pick notes simultaneously? Or uses he hammer-on/pull-off while he does the thing with the whammy? Btw John Petrucci also uses this technique, but not to the extreme extent as Andy.

EricV
02-20-2003, 09:50 PM
I am not sure whether I have ever heard Andy LaRoque, but based on your description, it sounds as if he is doing something similar to what Michael Lee Firkins used to do...
He held the whammy bar with his r.h. pinkie and picked the strings with his pick or fingers ( or both ), constantly adding vibrato and wang bar dips.
When I first heard Firkins, I thought "Dude, he is a cool slide player... neat phrasing".
Then someone told me that MLF is not using a slide at all... he is doing all that with the wang bar

Gotta check out LaRoque, I guess. What band is he in ?
Eric

Asse
02-20-2003, 10:33 PM
He has played with King Diamond since the beginning, you probably won't like his vocals. :D I've just read your article about whammy stuff, and I've found the technique described more or less. Check out the tune 'Arrival' from the album "Abigail", 1986. I don't get how he picks the notes if he actually does that...