PDA

View Full Version : gallops

nils152
12-28-2005, 05:37 PM
hi, I just want to know how exactly can i practice rhythm gallops with a metronome?I just cant seem to get the hang of it. I just cant seem to keep the rhythm and timing. Is it just a case of practice? regards

gersdal
12-28-2005, 05:43 PM
I did a search on rhythm gallops, and all I got was a lot of medical cardiac sites. Could you please explain :confused:

forgottenking2
12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I have heard the term in Spanish... it's basically a figure consisting of one 8th note and 2 16ths or one 8th note and 3 16th note tripplets. It was described (if I remember this right :P) as one of the figures used in embellishment of melodies.

nils152
12-28-2005, 06:01 PM
yea what forgotton sed! They occur in alot of metallicas songs. As im not really a big fan of the really fast riffing stuff, im having trouble pullin off these type of songs in the band i have just joined

forgottenking2
12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Since they are normally one beat figures, practicing them with the metronome is going to be kind of tricky. Start out slow and make sure that the first note falls on the one. Something else you can do is speed the metronome up to double the speed and take the the clicks as if they were 8th notes.

Either way you'll end up with a count that looks like this:

ONE e AND AH, TWO e AND AH, THREE e AND AH, FOUR e AND AH

or

ONE pe le(t) AND PE LE(T) TWO pe le(t) AND PE LE(T) etc

or backwards if you practice backward gallops (think metallica).

It's tough but with practice you'll get them. Keep it slow for a while.

I hope this helps.

nils152
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
thts great thanks