PDA

View Full Version : Standard Notation Application

Black-Mantra
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I have a somewhat retarded problem. I can read standard notation, I can tell you exactly what the notes on the stave are and other such information. However, Im not sure how to apply it to the fretboard, I mean chords are simple enough. But what about individual notes. Being able to say, 'I must play F#' is all fare and well, but which one? There are so many F#'s I could play on the fretboard. Like I say, I know this is stupid, but Id rather be a fool in this instance and finally have my answer. Thanks all *wavie*

gersdal
12-29-2005, 01:29 PM
There's often 4-6 different way's to play a certain a note, one on each string in some cases like the F# I've shown in the ptb attached. It's your decision which one of them to use. It depends on the rest of the line your playing, and where you get the tone that you are looking for.
1 - If the F# is the first in a scalerun up an octave or more, it would be wise to start at e.g. the G- or D-string F#. If it is the first in a scale run down an octave or so, the E- or B-string F# would be a natural choice.
2 - If possible, check how the different F#'es sounds on you guitar and amp, and play the one with the best sound in that particular line. This is not easy, but listen to Eric Johnson for examples of excelent choices of position based on tone.
Hope this helps.

Malcolm
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm unable to open the above file but I do not think it is saying the same as I will below. Here is an easy way to get started.

Use the first four frets like we do with open chords.

Use your major scale pattern and place it on the first four frets.
Standard notation will tell you which note to sharp or flat, so that eliminates the need to move the pattern.

Notes below the treble clif (ledger lines) will be played on the 5th and 6th string.
Notes above the treble clif will be played on the 1st string - just go up the neck using the 1st string.
Everything else will fit on the 4,3,2,1 string in the 1st to 4th fret area.

You now have three octaves to play from --- and you only have to learn where the notes are in the first four frets plus the chromatic advancement of the 1st string.

If you already read standard notation, and then keeping everything in the first four fret area of your guitar you will pick this up in no time.

Black-Mantra
12-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, I feel alot better about approaching this now :D . Im getting straight to it.

man4pak04
04-28-2015, 02:06 AM
I will buy a new guitar and my choices boiled down to these two. Aesthetically which one do you like more?