PDA

View Full Version : Atonal Minor solfege ear training

brent
01-01-2006, 06:45 AM
I only have done major solfege but what im lacking is doing solfege of these notes like
Syllable:
Augmented unison Di
Minor second Ra
Augmented second Ri
Minor Third Me
Augmented Fourth Fi
Diminished Fifth Se
Augmented Fifth Si
Minor Sixth Le
Augmented Sixth Li
Minor seventh Te

How do i use these syllables and practice to create melodies?

dusura
01-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I only have done major solfege but what im lacking is doing solfege of these notes like
Syllable:
Augmented unison Di
Minor second Ra
Augmented second Ri
Minor Third Me
Augmented Fourth Fi
Diminished Fifth Se
Augmented Fifth Si
Minor Sixth Le
Augmented Sixth Li
Minor seventh Te

How do i use these syllables and practice to create melodies?

You could improvise with harmonic minor (Do, Re, Me, Fa, Sol, Le, Ti, Do) or maybe Dorian (Do, Re, Me, Fa, Sol, La, Te, Do). Use whatever mode or scale you like.

Try to sing the scale up and down. Then maybe make a some patterns to sing e.g for Dorian, try in thirds Do, Me, Re, Fa, Me, Sol, Fa, La, Sol, Te. Once you become confident with the notes in your scale you should try to improvise with it.

Just some ideas - I'm sure you could think of many more.

brent
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks

Augmented unison Di ,Minor second Ra,Augmented second Ri,Minor Third Me
,Augmented Fourth Fi,Diminished Fifth Se,Augmented Fifth Si,Minor Sixth Le
,Augmented Sixth Li ,Minor seventh Te

using Di, Ra, Ri,Me,Fi,Se,Si,Le,Li,Te these are the hard ones for me

I'm not use to practicing these notes how do singers get good at singing
augmented unison, minor seconds, augmented second, minor thirds, augmented 4th , dimiinished 5th , augmented 5th, minor 6, augmented 6th, minor seventh

When singing a C minor scale how can i practices using these other notes?
to get them in my mind and memorized?

bnazzz
01-01-2006, 07:48 PM
You probably have done most of these already if you think about it.

Do Di = Ti Do
Do Ra = Do Di = Ti Do
Do Me = La Do, Re Me = Ti Do
Do Fi = Do Se = Fa Ti
Sol Si = Sol Le = Ti Do
Li Do = Te Do = Do Re

Use the sounds you already know to get the ones you don't. For example, to get Do Le, You could use Ti Do to find the half step from Sol to Le, then once you have Sol Le, get Do Sol Le, then Do Sol Do Le, then Do Le. Also, it helps to practice singing half step sequences, Do Ri Re Me Mi Fa Mi Me Re Ri Do, and then Do Ri Do Re Do Me Do Mi Do Fa Do Mi Do Me Do Re Do Ri Do, etc.

Brian

brent
01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
THanks

I'm not use to have half step dissonace or out of key notes im new to this mostly in my class we just did major scales and some minor

But these Augmented unison Di ,Minor second Ra,Augmented second Ri,Minor Third Me ,Augmented Fourth Fi,Diminished Fifth Se,Augmented Fifth Si,Minor Sixth Le,Augmented Sixth Li ,Minor seventh Te

using Di, Ra, Ri,Me,Fi,Se,Si,Le,Li,Te

dusura
01-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Augmented unison Di ,Minor second Ra,Augmented second Ri,Minor Third Me
,Augmented Fourth Fi,Diminished Fifth Se,Augmented Fifth Si,Minor Sixth Le

using Di, Ra, Ri,Me,Fi,Se,Si,Le,Li,Te these are the hard ones for me

I'm not use to practicing these notes how do singers get good at singing
augmented unison, minor seconds, augmented second, minor thirds, augmented 4th , dimiinished 5th , augmented 5th, minor 6, augmented 6th, minor seventh

I would advise not to think in terms of intervals. I don't think most singers think like this. You should try thinking of the sound of each note makes against the key. For example, Di/Ra (e.g. F in E major) has that "Spanish" sound.

When singing a C minor scale how can i practices using these other notes?
to get them in my mind and memorized?

One thing I find useful is to sing against a drone note that is your tonic note. This really brings out the sound of the note in the key.

Some notes are easier to hear than others. It depends alot on the quality of the tonality. For example, Le is easier to hear in a minor tonality than in a major. In harmonic minor, for example, Le is in the scale, but in a major tonality it is an "outside" sound - more chromatic.

Some chromatisms are easier to hear than others. For example, a common phrase in classical music is "Fa Fi Sol". If you are familar with that sound you will probably be able to sing/hear that chromaticism more easily. If you are familiar with the blues you might find singing/hearing Me against a major tonality an easy "chromaticism" as this is part of the blues idiom. If you listen to a lot of jazz try playing Dm7 Db7 Cmaj7 cadence (II V I with tritone substitution), you will find it is quite easy to sing the chromaticisms "Re Ra Do" and "La Le Sol" against that cadence.

Basically, some chromaticisms are easier to hear than others and which ones you can hear best depends on what you are used to hearing. So you just have to keep playng around with the ones you find difficult. Personally, I find Di/Ra Le/Si the most difficult to hear and I think these are probably the most common notes to have problems with.

brent
01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the help and information

When singing chromaticisms solfege how do u get use to it?

These Augmented unison Di ,Minor second Ra,Augmented second Ri,Minor Third Me,Augmented Fourth Fi,Diminished Fifth Se,Augmented Fifth Si,Minor Sixth Le

using Di, Ra, Ri,Me,Fi,Se,Si,Le,Li,Te

How would i make melodies or improvise using these?

I have a hard time memorizing these types of intervals,notes,syllables
because im so use to major and some minor but even the minor modes don't
really use all these so its hard to get it in my head and meorize these different types of syllables and intervals because i rarely used them
how does a new person get to practice using these types of syllables
to have them soak in there mind more

dusura
01-03-2006, 07:31 AM
I have a hard time memorizing these types of intervals,notes,syllables
because im so use to major and some minor but even the minor modes don't
really use all these so its hard to get it in my head and meorize these different types of syllables and intervals because i rarely used them
how does a new person get to practice using these types of syllables
to have them soak in there mind more

There really aren't that many new sounds to know. Though it is not completely correct theory-wise you can assume each pair is the same note Di/Ra, Ri/Me, Fi/Se, Si/Le, Li/Te. So you really have only five new sounds outside of the major scale.

Try improvising with different modes to cover these four. For example, Aeolian (or natural minor) has three of them (Ri/Me, Si/Le, Li/Te). You can practice Di/Ra with Phrygian mode. And Fi/Se is the #4 of Lydian mode or the b5 in the blues scale.

brent
01-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Try improvising with different modes to cover these four. For example, Aeolian (or natural minor) has three of them (Ri/Me, Si/Le, Li/Te). You can practice Di/Ra with Phrygian mode. And Fi/Se is the #4 of Lydian mode or the b5 in the blues scale.

You mean like sing C major then sing the "parallel" mode like C Aeolian to get
(Ri/Me, Si/Le, Li/Te). Sing C phrygian mode and C Lydian mode and C blues scale

dusura
01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
You mean like sing C major then sing the "parallel" mode like C Aeolian to get
(Ri/Me, Si/Le, Li/Te). Sing C phrygian mode and C Lydian mode and C blues scale

Yeah. That's right. If you sing a different mode from that same root you can start getting the sound of these notes that are outside the major scale.