PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm

JoliKoV
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
ellow people, been playing guitar for 6 years (17 y.o.) i've been in a band for almost a year now and i've known this my whole life but i have the worst time with my rhythm

i understand music theory and all i can even write a whole sound on paper with perfect rhythm

but my trouble comes when i can't hear it or what not i'm either to soon or too late

this irritates me because i can put notes together beautifully but i can only hear the actually rhythm in simple rhythms

the longer they get the harder it is for me to remember them

SO..... are there any kind of exercises out there that you guys know of that can help me with this? THANKS

silent-storm
01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
the best thing I ever did for my rhythm was to slowly drill into my brain the idea of keeping time with my picking hand. It just moves up and down in the same way that you would tap your foot, regardless of what you are playing. everything that falls on a down beat gets a downstroke and everything on an up beat gets an up stroke. Or if you have 8th notes the first one gets the down stroke, up on the 2nd. Same with 16ths, 1st and 3rd up, 2nd and 4th down. All of this is regardless of the previous notes. So if you have a whole bunch of 8th rests followed by 8th notes, you are only going to be playing up strokes. This gets very tricky when there are long rests followed by 16ths and whatnot, but anything is douable...although triplets require a little more attention.

try writing out every possible combination of splitting up a bar into 8th notes and just loop them. then try writting out every combination of splitting a beat into 16th notes and group those together and loop them. This is helpful in order to hear rhythm in bigger chunks...you don't want to have to process every single note when you can hear a beat with 3 16th notes in it and just know how they are all placed by hearing the whole beat rather then the individual notes.

metronome, metronome, metronome.