PDA

View Full Version : What is this scale?

Music Lover
02-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Dear Members,

What is the name of this scales.. G A B C D E F# G??

Well, we know this is G Major. Because it has one sharp and the sharp is given to F note.
So, it is G Major.

If the sharp is given to E note this is not G Major.

Then the scales looks like this G A B C D E# F G

Is this valid in western music.

can we creat our own scales or we have to fixed to the per-defined sets of scales???

Thanks in advance.
bye

szulc
02-23-2003, 01:57 PM
G A B C D E# F G
is really
G A B C D F G
since E# = F

There are no rules that say you must not create your own scales, but this is not standard Western Music Theory.

metallibeast
02-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Music Lover

can we creat our own scales or we have to fixed to the per-defined sets of scales???

I believe Eric talked about the Hip Scale by Paul Gilbert somewhere b4...its created by PG

I believe Steve Vai wrote a song using a scale he created can't remember the song...but I remember something about the scale having 9 notes or something like that in it.

So you can created your own Hippy :D scale!!!

-Beast

NP:- Mariah Carey:#1

szulc
02-23-2003, 03:40 PM
It is all about how you define a scale.
One defintion is a series of unique tones spanning one octave, in a given interval structure.
Chromatic all 12 tones fits this definition, and I would refer to this as the universal set, since any other scale is a subset of this.
You could have just 1 note (that would be boring!).
You could have two notes (also boring!)
Basically anything from 1 to 11 notes, so you have a great deal of possibilities here.

EricV
02-23-2003, 04:49 PM
James, as usual is right. Itīs a matter of definition.
And the "hip scale" is basically a scale with added blue notes etc. It works well with patterns, so that is what makes it great for the guitar.
There also i.e. is the "country blues scale", which is pretty much a simple major pentatonic where, in the pattern, the "blank spots" are filled up, so you get a lot of chromatic notes.
It works great on guitar, but I wouldnīt call it a scale on its own. Itīs more like a regular this or that scale, with some added chromatic notes.
Eric

szulc
02-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks Eric,
But it is going to be hard to try to live up to these expectations!

Bongo Boy
02-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm thinking that the utility of a 'new' scale might be limited if consideration isn't given to the chords that can actually be played using the scale. Maybe that's not a good way to look at it--it just seems that arbitrary interval patterns could lead to problems.

szulc
02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
There is nothing Wrong with exploration!
I think is is a good Idea to create all kinds of unique intrval patterns, it opens up your ears, and it is intellectually stimulating.

Bongo Boy
02-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Totally agree. 'Problems' is a relative term. In the New Harmony Book, Haunschild writes a little bit about how harmonies that were all at one time lumped into strongly dissonant became, over time, more finely categorized, with a shift (over the past 4 centuries) toward greater appreciation of and favor for dissonance.

So what I'm getting at is that, just because certain structures are not yet considered 'useful' doesn't mean something new and exciting can't be created from them. On the other hand, by experimenting, you'll perhaps discover why they haven't become popular yet.

Me..I'm just trying to learn a few majors and a pentatonic or two.

metallibeast
02-24-2003, 02:04 AM
What's up?

Perharps we could create a Ibreathemusic scale. :D

-Beast

the1andonly
02-24-2003, 03:52 AM
you can try and 'invent' scales, but there are already dozens of scales in exsistance. if you try to invent a new scale, chances are it already exists.

I'd recommend buying a book called 'the guitar grimoire' it contains almost every scale in existance, and it'll probably help answer all your scale questions.

Guni
02-24-2003, 08:40 AM
8am random thoughts (no coffee yet :( )

I think we have to consider why there are scales at all. Basically, a scale rates notes in comparison to a chord or/and a musical situation.

Overall, a scale describes that the selected notes 'fit / work / sound pleasing'.

Within a scale there's another rating: stable notes and tensions.

All other notes outside of a scale approach scale tones.

What it comes down to is that you can make up any combination of notes and call it a scale, but you won't get around rating single tones, ie having tension and resolution in mind.

G.

JForc500
02-24-2003, 02:40 PM
How about those sweet spots stituated smoothly between solid notes. How about an A natural minor scale...... We all can appreciate the beauty of that soulful bending to get that heart tugging sound just north of "B" but still south of "Ab". Would it ever make sense to double the amount of frets. We could call it a B half sharp for instance. Maybe we could drop every other fret and bend our way to where we want to be . Man that would be a soulful sounding guitar. Of course those difficultly fingered chords are going to sound pretty funky!! If you like it well then it works for you.

Jack

JForc500
02-24-2003, 02:44 PM
the sweet spot I was refering to is somewhere north of " B" and just south of "C". come on , you know what I mean! A " B half sharp" or is that a " C half flat".
Jack

Bizarro
03-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Is this valid in western music.

I'm tempted to say that anything and everything is valid in western music! Have you listened to much jazz?

Music Lover
03-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Dear members,

Thank you very much for helping me in my problem.

I understood Guni's post but, I did not undertand this

"Within a scale there's another rating: stable notes and tensions"

what is stable notes and tension?

bye

Music Lover
03-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Dear members,

Thank you every one on this forum. I am very happy to be a part of iBreathMusic.com.

All the best to all members!

bye

IRM
03-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by JForc500
Would it ever make sense to double the amount of frets.

I think i read somewhere that Kramer made a prototype of a guitar like that, called the "quarterstepper". Don't remember who used it though.

szulc
03-03-2003, 01:18 AM
I have seen guitars with 33 frets per octave (1/6 steps).
I have had a hard enough time learning the 12 Frets per octave I have now!

Guni
03-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Music Lover
what is stable notes and tension? Every note in relation to a chord or root has a tendency to either sound 'stable' or create 'tension' - if it's a tension it is looking to resolve to a stable note.

Say you take a major scale on it's own. For example : major 7th and major 2nd have the tendency to resolve to the root. Have a look at this article about tendency tones and resolution: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/44

Same applies to a scale played on top of a chord: stable tones are equal to chord tones, e.g. Cmajor scale over C major triad: stable notes are c, e, g (the notes of the triad). All other notes out of the scale 'add' something to the underlying chord, i.e they add tension.

Guni

Music Lover
03-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Dear Guni,

Thank you for telling me about 'stable' and 'tension' .

thanks

bye