PDA

View Full Version : Steve Lukather

martin
02-23-2003, 02:11 PM
I recently saw Toto live in Manchester, UK. I was amazed, Steve Lukather's playing was amazing! He was doing this thing with the tremolo, where he tapped the bridge and got this really wierd sound from his guitar. Could anyone tell me what he is doing, as it was a cool sound!

Martin

szulc
02-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Can you describe it a little better?

Do you listen to George Lynch or Joe Satraini?
They do microtonal bends with the wang bar that makes a mid eastern sound, usually by tapping on the bar or the bridge.
Satch turns his bar around towards the strap button and hits it with the side of his hand ike a karate chop.

EricV
02-23-2003, 10:00 PM
I am not quite sure what technique you mean either, since there are bunches of whammy bar-tricks and Luke uses many of them, but it could either be the "cat purring" technique ( check out my whammy bar article (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/play/article/37) , itīs explained there, plus I attached a soundfile ), or some variation of it, where he plays a note with the left hand and then taps the bridge to quickly raise the pitch, to get that Jeff Beck-like, kinda asian sound ( like reversed whammy dips )
Eric

martin
02-24-2003, 03:26 PM
It was creating a purring sound, like really fast wild vibrato... i thought this was only possible with a floyd rose tremolo, but he just had a basic tremolo. He did a solo on an acoustic too, it was incredible, really inspiring! What would he be doing t create this 'purring' sound?

Martin

EricV
02-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Check out the article I linked to above, itīs explained in there, and thereīs a soundfile too
Eric

PS: He also used the "purring effect" for his solo in "Daveīs Gone Skiing" on Totoīs "Tambu" Album