Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Larger Intervals

Licensed Moose

Strictly Larger Intervals

Well, not strictly large intervals, but, at the very least, getting used to utilizing them within your playing/improvising, is the goal of this strictly.

D Dorian Progression:
    Code:
    | Dmin7 | G7 | Dmin 7 | G7 | 
    | Dmin7 | G7 | Bb maj | A7#5 | 

| G7 | G7 | Dmin7 | Dmin7 | 
    | G7 | G7 | Amaj | A7#5 |
    Here is the chord progression (listen to the backing track to get an idea of how it sounds). For this strictly, we'll be playing about with the Dorian mode, so your arps and D Dorian mode will apply here. Beware when improvising over the A7#5 and the Amajor chord; both of these contain the note of C#, a note which isn't within D Dorian. Thanks for SeattleRuss for pointing this out.

The main focus of this is to get used to utilizing larger intervals when playing and improvising. Often as players, we fall into the trap of ascending or descending diatonically, through adjacent notes. Often, just a quick note jump of a fifth or even an octave in a solo can really add that bit of extra spice.

So, get out those scale pattern sheets, and brush up on your third, fourths, fifths and so on. The objective isn't to fit as many large intervals as possible into your playing, but rather, adding them in at key moments to create more interesting melodies. The example solo provided shows a few examples of this within the context of a relatively 'normal' (if such a thing exists). I'm not entirely happy with the execution of the solo, but it exists as an example; It's not flooded with masses of huge interval jumps, just a few here and there. I'm looking forward to see what you all come up with.

Good luck!

Nick
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

Thanks Nick!

Nice soloing, great idea. I'm gonna go for some Vai sliding large interval jumps!

Finally. I am going to check out this one. I might be able to come up with some experimental things. It'll have to be rather experimental as I've got two strings at the moment.

EDIT: Just after the intro lick I feared that the Dorian tonality would be forgotten. However, that didn't happen. Also, the large intervals is the aim for this Strictly anyway, so it would probably not be the biggest problem?

I like the spark of your playing. Quite intense, and melodic.
    Last edited by Apple-Joe; 02-04-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Here we are then:

When I said Vai sliding, really don't be expecting it to actually sound anything like him of course. (That probably goes without saying but...)

On the dirty track I've employed two techniques and one mechanical devide to invoke larger intervals.

The techniques are sliding on the same string up and down to increase the interval beyond the norm. This is risky as you have to be accurate and hit your target notes but it's a nice effect. I think I explore it mostly at around 0.40.

Tapping needs not explanation but is of course an easy way to increase your interval distances, it's fairl obviousd ehen I'm doing this.

At one point though I use the Whammy set to one octave high and tap and then alternately drop the pedal to increase the interval by another octave.

It's kind of cool I hope.

On the clean track I'm using a wah which will be obvious and mostly using the same sliding technique as above to increase the distance of the intervals. Not too much though as it can get repetitive, and I think I could have been more inventive too but hey, you gets what you gets in a couple of hours on a Sunday avo.

Anywho, thanks Nick, great groove for a Dorian funk out!

As always, Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

No more takers??

I'm gonna listen any minute. I might be inspired to have a go myself soon. If I dare (fingers are out of shape, I fear).

Yeah! have a go A-J, it's only me and you in this forum now anyway

He he. Well, oh, and did I mention my guitar got only two strings at the moment?

Now I might actually have a go as the expactations hopefully have reached a minimum.

First, your recordings are screaming for a listen. Comments will follow very soon.

Two strings?? What happened to the other four?

They have broken - one by one. And I haven't bothered getting a new set yet as I haven't been in playing mood.

Well, about your recordings. The clean take had an exceptional sound. I also liked the spirit in your playing. Partly because of the wah, but most because of your devotion hopefully. Also, thanks for the originator of this thread for deciding on the DORIAN mode. Which made you able to demonstrate some great phrases in your recording. I've been curious about the Dorian mode lately and this helped a little bit.

Dirty take: Rich sounding beginning. 00:23 - WHAT? Insanse sounds. Really add something to the track. Also like the playful phrases around 00:40. In addition to this; as usual, stylish ending.

I'm quite sure these two tracks will get their deserved praise when the people listen to them.

Licensed Moose
    I'd give these a listen but unfortunately, for the second time in about a month, my computer is on the fritz. My computer sparked with a nice blue flash and popping sound when I plugged it in and I just can't afford to repair it after repairing it the first time around.

I'll see if I can rob some headphones and listen whilst I'm at work. Good guitaring is ALWAYS worth getting fired for..

Thanks for the comments too guys, as well as contributing.

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

A_J, yes those parts at 0.40 are the sliding parts to increase the intervals. It's an easy way to do it but you have to be accurate with your sliding...I think I missed a couple but managed to recover it.

Aside from that and the tapping i couldnt think of anyway to increase the intervals.

OH! Hold ON! String skipping would do it too...hmmmm, maybe room for another go.

I'll have a go when I get a spare 30 mins! I've been somewhat inactive here for a while now, oops.

Current Listening:
    Gong - Expresso II

Nice takes so far !

I've already had a couple of jams over this (all ten digits are now operational again) and will try for a take soon. Been a while since I did a strictly take, so it's about time I made everyone else feel good about their playing again

I'm also thinking about going back to some of the originals. It's nearly a year since strictly pent - did I get any better...or worse !

I was thinking exactly the same thing you know! Re-visit to see where the improvements may lie.

I just re-did the Phrygian one prompted by Nicks take, but actually it wasn't necessarily better or worse from my point of view...just completely different.

Then I wondered if i should try to do the exact same original take again and see if I have improved on that...then i wondered if that would just be uninteresting...then i stopped wondering about things.