Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Joe Satriani's Super_Colossal 2006

Joe Satriani's Super_Colossal 2006

New album of Satch is released yesterday ur post ur reviews i m waiting for international release.

I think IŽll need more spins to get into it. I have listened to it 2 or 3 times so far, and I havenŽt gotten into the first few songs yet. However, the songs in the middle and towards the end I did like. "Cool New Way" is a really cool song, and so are the ones that follow. Great groove.
    I am a big fan of the first five albums, "The Extremist" being my favorite Satch album, and of course, that one is quite a bit different than the new one.
    However, I think IŽll get into the new one a bit more once I listen to it more often.
    Eric

I'm with Eric...I think there's a little too much filler on this album. But it might just take me a while to get into those songs. I think the ballady ones are probably his weakest from any of his albums.

But I think the title track and Redshift Riders are superb!

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    I'm with Eric...I think there's a little too much filler on this album. But it might just take me a while to get into those songs. I think the ballady ones are probably his weakest from any of his albums.

But I think the title track and Redshift Riders are superb!
    It seems like he didn't put as much into it as he could have...a lot of the same old blues licks...I wish he could stay away from minor pentatonic licks and be a little more adventurous...When I heard the solo to Super Colossal, I was waiting for this big exploding solo, but I just got the same old bluesy licks he always falls back on, nothing special. I think maybe it's a product of being on tour almost constantly, having not much time to write, and maybe there was some pressure from the record company..I dunno..I think if he took a year off, he would likely come up with a lot more interesting songs and solos...I'm not saying it's a bad album. There are some keepers on there...I just wish he would get back to writing songs in the vein of FIABD, Ceremony, Mindstorm, Crystal Planet, Circles, Cool #9 etc...IMHO.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

The ones I like the most are "Cool New Way" and "Meaning Of Love". Both have that dreamy, floating Satriani-vibe. I like that. So as I said, I like the second half of the album more than the first.
    Eric

I bought it about 36 hours ago and have listened to it about 4 or 5 times. Incredible! I'm really impressed! Not crazy about the freaky artwork and that big FBI logo on the back cover (OK Sony, we get it, don't burn the CD), but the music is stellar... and... well... COLOSSAL!
    Last edited by doctorvetsill; 03-20-2006 at 03:37 PM.
    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
    Sitting on a cornflake

i think the new record is pure crap.....

i really like the old satch stuff and i really LOVE the live in san fran dvd. But the new cd just sucks....

I know.. just my subjective first impression .... but that is what it is....

well finally i got album nice melodies....upto today my fav tracks are..
    Super colossal, ten words, Redshift Riders, Love eternal

I just got Satriani's new album a few days ago, and I have to say, I love it ! (Well, apart from the last song, 'crowd chant' which I'm not particularly fond of, to be honest).
    Some really awesome songs on that album !

After a few more spins, I have grown even more fond of some of the songs that make up the second half. Favorites so far are "A Cool New Way" ( cuz of the groove ) and "The Meaning Of Love" ( the intro melody is beautiful, and I dig the synth pattern they used in that song, that pizzicato-type sound. I love to use stuff like that myself ).
    IŽd say this is more of a "chill-and-enjoy-type record", compared to some of his previous albums
    Eric

Yeah, I also love that song "Meaning of love".
    I think the ballads and the more mellow songs are my favorites on the album....
    But as I said before I like all the tunes, except for this "Crowd Chant" thing ....anybody else dislikes that tune, or am I alone here ?

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo
    Yeah, I also love that song "Meaning of love".
    I think the ballads and the more mellow songs are my favorites on the album....
    But as I said before I like all the tunes, except for this "Crowd Chant" thing ....anybody else dislikes that tune, or am I alone here ?
    Joe! Please try and forget about the minor pentatonic blues licks for one song!!! Do us a favour Joey! Crowd Chant doesn't really say anything or go anywhere, and it kind of sounds like it could be used as a commercial jingle...I do have to give a few more spins, but I'm starting to like this record more and more..I think Joe should try and write some more stronger, stranger, syncopated rhythms to challenge Campitelli with...That straight eighth note drumming must be boring as hell for him. Ice 9, Circles, (Live In San Fran)and Ceremony come to mind as songs which are much more rhythmically interesting.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!