Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Satriani Song

Satriani Song

Ok, as everyone knows, Joe Satriani is a god when it comes to the guitar, not only is his stuff emotional and awsome, he tought my favorite guitarist how to play techniques such as double handed picking and artificial harmonics(Kirk Hammet of Metallica for yall who couldn't tell). Anyways, to the question, what is a good song by Satriani I should learn? I can play a little bit of Crush of Love but I want to know if yall have any ideas of another one to learn, maybe The Extremist or Satch Boogie? Voice your thoughts, what do yall think is: 1) The Best Joe Satriani Song Ever & 2)A Good Satriani Song to Learn that's not God Awfal Hard to Learn, I've only been playnig about three years and can play good, but not Satriani good yet.
    My gear:

Ibanez RG470 for my heavy stuff
    Telecaster with Hotrails for alot of my lead
    ESP F207 for the Nu Metal stuff
    Martin TB1 for my acoustic
    Global POS Classical guitar for fingerpicking
    and an Ibanez EDB605 5-string bass

FX Pedals:
    Boss: MT-2, CS-3 & NS-2
    Ibanez 7th heaven
    Zoom 505
    Digitech RP-3

Amps:
    Ibanez TB50R
    Rouge Bass Amp
    and a Dean Markley portible amp

My Blog: http://sliptallica.modblog.com

Satch is truly a great musician. I've seen 2 different G3 tours and he's quite incredible. I'm amazed that he can fill a stadium with instrumental music, but his melodies and songs are so great that I shouldn't be surprised after all...

Satch Boogie is a tough song to play if you're a beginner!

I think "Always with me, always with you" is a beautiful (and fairly easy) song. It's also a great introduction to the subtleties of guitar techiques. The notes are easy to play, but it's not easy to make it sound as vocal and eloquent as Joe plays it.

"Surfing with the Alien" is sort of easy if you've been playing seriously for a couple of years. Most of the song will be easy, but there's some tough stuff in there to work on your chops, too. It's a jamming tune that I like to play over and over and over and over... you get my point!

I can't really pick just one favorite Satch tune, but "Flying in a Blue Dream" is high up there on my list. All of the Surfing disc is incredible.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Thanks, but I'm not a NuB, I was mearly saying that I'm not at the sature of being a god-likeliness player yet like Satriani, Kirk Hammet, EVH, Eric Johnson, Steve Via and the other greats who walk this earth, ok maybe I idealize guitar players too much. But thanks for the help. I may try to take on Surfing with Aliens. I can probably hack at it a while and get it down, like I said, I'm not a NuB, I've been in two different bands, which doesn't say much but I can hold myself if needed at a "guitar stand-off", lol. NEWays, thanks again.

And for yall Aggies out there, Gig 'Em Aggies!!!
    My gear:

Ibanez RG470 for my heavy stuff
    Telecaster with Hotrails for alot of my lead
    ESP F207 for the Nu Metal stuff
    Martin TB1 for my acoustic
    Global POS Classical guitar for fingerpicking
    and an Ibanez EDB605 5-string bass

FX Pedals:
    Boss: MT-2, CS-3 & NS-2
    Ibanez 7th heaven
    Zoom 505
    Digitech RP-3

Amps:
    Ibanez TB50R
    Rouge Bass Amp
    and a Dean Markley portible amp

My Blog: http://sliptallica.modblog.com

You can also learn "Midnight" (always on Surfing with the aliens)
    it's not very hard to play (okay it's very hard to make sound), and the melodies are wonderfull.
    Surfin with the aliens is not very hard to play also (well compared to others songs) but mastering wah wah and harmonics on ... that's an other story. The harmonics shouldn't be a big problem with all your gear (only 3 years of guitar and already all those stuff ).
    And the question of "being a noob" is not the point The toughest things are not always the u think when u begin in Satch world.