Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you motivate yourself to play guitar?

you can't motivate yourself to play the guitar if you don't like to play it then you shouldnt play it

You cant motivate yourself to play. if you dont fell like playing you should stop playing the guitar find something that interests you

Quote Originally Posted by mannny
    You cant motivate yourself to play. if you dont fell like playing you should stop playing the guitar find something that interests you
    I couldn't disagree more, and I would not advise anyone to take such a drastic course of action. I went through a phase of being unmotivated but I stuck with it and now music means more to me than it ever did and that passion drives my motivation, if I had given up just because I didn't feel like it for a few weeks then that would have the biggest mistake I had ever made!

Current Listening:
    Gong - Expresso II

Licensed Moose
    I don't think manny meant demotivated as in a slump or rut, but rather, just demotivated to play the guitar on a regular basis. Not everybody takes up guitar to be a full-time hobby/career/lifestyle. Some people take it up to just want to strum a few chords once a week or so, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I would wager from what I've seen that most people who post on IBM are pretty ambitious players, who truly love improving and play a lot. I don't share that dedication, as I'm sure a few others don't; I play when I feel like playing, which might be every day, or it might be once in one fortnight. I don't practice my AP/EP/Sweeping/Tapping etc. like I used to, just my AP enough to get by.

I think the real issue in my opinion, is for anyone who's demotivated to have a good think about what I've just said. I was quite demotivated a while ago, because I felt that as a guitarist, I had to play regularly. Infact, it was this website that contributed mostly to it (through my fault, not the excellent people on this excellent site) because when I first started posting I got caught up in a community of excellent, dedicated guitarists, and I felt that that would be how I had to play, which was quite naive of me. I got to the point where I thought, "Wow, I haven't picked my guitar up in two weeks, am I getting to the point where I want to quit?".

Have a good think; do you really want to play guitar as a serious career/lifestyle, or as a hobby? If you want to do the former, I can't give you motivational advice really. If it's the latter, I don't think you should need it as an only somewhat serious player because you can just play what you want, when you want.

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

this past week I've played every single day!!! I guess I am starting to feel a bit more motivation now.

I still have a lot to improve because I mostly play after 6 pm rather than throughout the day IF I don't have school or a lot of HW. This past week I haven't had a lot of HW, but I did have school so I could only play after 6 pm.

I still have a problem where I'll play for an hour or so, practicing exercises and maybe a cover song, but then I start to get bored. I find that sometimes I just want to kick back for an hour before I go to bed to surf the web and chat, and that takes away from me playing longer every night. How do you guys keep going and keep going, or what makes you keep going while you are practicing that riff or doing your own song?

Oh and I want to be a guitar virtouso someday, might take a while, but I can see myself being just that.

I understand what you mean and I used to feel like that from time to time but I knew that if I put it down and stopped say 20 mins early or whatever then I'd feel bad for not giving my guitar that extra bit of effort. My view is that surfing the net or watching TV isn't going to get me anywhere in life so I may as well fight through those extra 10-20mins on my guitar and a lot of the time I found I got somewhere. It's just to do with discipline and for me that grew as I got better.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Motivation

Sometimes the best way to motivate yourself is to take a day or two off from playing. IF you practice regularly it really will not hurt your technique. I have tendonitis so the more I play the worse my hands get, they literally freeze up.

My biggest frustration is that I am trying to understand jazz theory and I think brain surgery would be easier. When I hear people play and blaze through jazz so effortlessly, It either makes me want to woodshed for 10 hours or trash my guitar.

I don't think I will ever get there but I will NEVER give up. Even if I try to stop it's like being a junkie, I just have to play...
    Joey D

You can find what you really yourself. Nobody could tall you what you really want and what would make you happy. Since you've mentioned you're not really happy playing guitar, then stop it, and go through what you like. But that doesn't mean that you quit playing guitar. You still can play guitar from time to time whenever you feel playing it.

wow, over 2 years later you've posted a new reply! haha. Thanks anyway!

ive got something to add.

my motivation used to come from my ego, chicks back in the day (as it does for most people)
    ive been playing for 15ish years now. id say The ego motivation is mostly gone.
    now its replaced by a need to be able to control, punish, love and caress those strings.

If anyone is really into vibrato and bending techniques im sure you know what im talking about. when you feel like you can control, bend, break that string into submission, its a feeling like no other. kind of like playing video games.

for me, thats motivation.....and also listening to inspiring music. jeff beck does it for me. as does scott henderson and a few other greats.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Another thing that motivates me

Another thing that motivates me is when I learn about yet another awsome guitar player that plays in a way that I personally like. My latest is Norri Bucci. Not sure if you all have heard of her but here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXUxplb7kcw

I really have to ask myself what it is that makes some players have all this technique as well as soul, over others (like myself) that struggle to get there but not quite..

I feel like a dog on a leash with the food bowl just out of reach when it comes to technique. I kick, scream, play, practice, but somehow there are just these players that have it. Maybe it is because they practice more but I am talking about players like Paul Gilbert, George Lynch.

I was a teen-ager in the late 70's and quite frankly, I hate 80's "big hair" bands but I have to say, some of the guitar players from these bands are just so talented that It's worth listening to the music.

My point is that from the start, the things that motivate me the most is when I hear solos that just "do it for me"...

Anyway, Im off to work, later...
    Last edited by joeyd929; 10-16-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: left out a comment
    Joey D

I meditate for 45 minutes every morning and that helps me focus on EVERYTHING in my day a million times better. I'd also suggest to cut off all ties to the computer/internet that you can that don't help you're musical ability (this site is acceptable, reading about theory on wikipedia, myspace exclusively to promote your own music etc. are all fine). I have looked at my internet logs from 6 months ago, and I'd be on 4-7 hours a day on myspace or some random forum (more gear oriented, less technique). I gave up all electronics about 2 months ago, and I've seen more playing improvement and an improvement in my overall health since then, so I'd suggest that everyone try that (unless you need a pacemaker... lol).

Good luck with everything.

P.S. A More Specific motivation =

Chris Feener. Check that guy out on youtube.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    I use all the spare time avaiable to play the guitar or compose. I have to be motivated to get AWAY from guitar ....

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    I use all the spare time avaiable to play the guitar or compose. I have to be motivated to get AWAY from guitar ....
    I wish....
    I have some problems with motivation myself bball.

The question to ask yourself is: do you want to be good at guitar, or do you want to play it?

Through playing and practicing you become good. If you just "want to be good", you won't want to play and slog through tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by CC323
    I meditate for 45 minutes every morning and that helps me focus on EVERYTHING in my day a million times better. I'd also suggest to cut off all ties to the computer/internet that you can that don't help you're musical ability (this site is acceptable, reading about theory on wikipedia, myspace exclusively to promote your own music etc. are all fine). I have looked at my internet logs from 6 months ago, and I'd be on 4-7 hours a day on myspace or some random forum (more gear oriented, less technique). I gave up all electronics about 2 months ago, and I've seen more playing improvement and an improvement in my overall health since then, so I'd suggest that everyone try that (unless you need a pacemaker... lol).
    Yep. The internet is my downfall. I can spend ages on random sites when I should be using that free time practicing. Cutting off electronics in general is one of the best things some of my friends have done.

Quote Originally Posted by "bball_1523
    Oh and I want to be a guitar virtouso someday, might take a while, but I can see myself being just that.
    Same here. I may even say that if I had to chose a job/profession it would be a musician. Not necessarily a "rockstar", but something in music and guitar.

I'm not trying to get religious/philosophical here, but the overdependence on electronic stimulation is causing people to lose the qualities that make them human. There are great things on the computer, free information about almost anything, band in a box, sibelius, auralia, pro tools, library of congress, but I think as musicians we're naturally attracted to places where we can talk (or argue) our favorite music as very few people locally probably listen to the same stuff as we do (at least if you're a holdsworth/lane/Metheny fan like me).

Sorry for my philosophical babble. Good luck on your paths to virtuosity guys. I'm sure you'll all get there.