Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 really wonderful vids...

2 really wonderful vids...

of John Butler playing live. I was really blown away. Very touching, and beautiful music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkO...=john%20butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-x5...=john%20butler

Enjoy
    Eric
    Last edited by EricV; 04-11-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Licensed Moose
    I don't think I've ever heard of John Butler but I'll give the videos a looksee. At home of course, the people at work aren't too appreciative of music..

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

Makes sense...

Both vids are performances of his song "Ocean", a piece which he occasionally extends to like 12 or 15 minutes... truly inspiring playing and beautiful harmonies IMO, could listen to that for like hours.

By the way, the video is not in synch entirely with the audio, but that shouldnīt take away from the enjoyment =)
    Eric

John Butler recently started to enjoy commercial success here in France. I only heard their most recent single, and saw them perform the same single on TV. He was playing slide on a Weissenborn-style guitar and wearing a Jamaican Red/Yellow/Green hat.

Although the song was groovy as hell I thought "well, they're all right but that sounds a LOT like Ben Harper" . I looked at your videos Eric, and I didn't know he was such a great & inspired musician. So thanks a million for posting them, I'll check them out more thoroughly =)

Thanks a million for posting these videos Eric !

No problem at all. I donīt usually start threads just to post some video URLs, but these I really wanted to share as I liked them a lot.
    Eric

Amateur gynecologist smallbusrider's Avatar
    My pet peeve-When soloists try to talk between songs and people don't shut up and listen. What a disrespect to the artist. Commentary is always important to the enjoyment of a show in these situations especially when only instrumentals are played. I've had the pleasure of seeing Larry Coryell and Steve Morse numerous times. At the venues I saw them at, you could hear a pin drop when they were talking. They were always entertaining with their commentary. (Mr. Morse sometimes just goes into train of thought speaking, which can be hilarious at times)
    "Life's too short to dance with Psycho Chicks."

Right, his in-between-songs-bantering. Love it ! He talks about all kinds of stuff... hwo the day went, soundcheck etc. Very amusing, very down to earth. Dig it.
    I agree, the crowd noise in the second vid are a bit annoying...
    Eric

I don't have the link now, but there is a clip on Youtube from the late 70's or early 80's of Frank Marino doing an instrumental song called "poppies" or something like that, and the song is so beautiful and so damn catchy. Somewhere in the middle when he solos, he does some pentatonic stuff that sounds so much like the stuff Shawn Lane used to do, wonder if he was an influence on Shawn.

Was it this one ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_56cg...frank%20marino

Frankīs a very underrated player. I thought it was cool that Gilbert used to mention him as an influence a lot... some well-deserved credit
    Eric

Licensed Moose
    Wow. I was really impressed. Very nice music.

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

I can't access it at work so I can't tell you, but the song starts with him solo onstage (in Montreal) playing some melody using octaves and then the band kicks in with a realy groovy riff, then he further develops the original melody.

Too bad that he is only one of those guys that only certain guitar players know about. I though he might have been an influence on Shawn Lane but I was not sure about it.

I wouldnt be surprised if he was. Shawn always was a fan of music, listening to pretty much everything he could get his hands on...
    Eric

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Wow, heard of this guy before, but never heard him...Makes me want to buy a 12 string! I remember reading an interview with him in Guitar One, and he said he plays through a Marshall Super Lead or something like that..What a combo! His playing actually reminds me a lot of my playing a few years back when I did some very similar stuff in open tunings on the acoustic, although it wasn't nearly as technical. Amazing, and beautiful!
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that is beautiful music. I remember watching one of his videos about one or two years ago and liked the song and the vibe his music had.

Recently I've started to just love this style of music, instrumental acoustic stuff. Been listening alot to Kaki King, Michael Hedges and some of Tommy Emmanuels stuff. Now I'm going to start listening to this guy, thanks for this Erik (actually, I think I first heard about Hedges in a post you made in some thread about Kaki King too :P)