Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Beach Songs Revisited

Beach Songs Revisited

Last year we had a thread ("summer songs" or "beach songs" or somethign like that). With the weather warming up in the northern hemisphere, I figured it's time to plan for everything from your cruisin' music to your campfire selections. It's htiing the 70s here in the southern US, so the top is down on my car and I'm playing several favorites, including...

Santana (especially the newer stuff)
    Billy Idol's latest CD "Devil's Playground"
    DLR "Eat 'em & Smile"
    any reggea available (old Marley, Tosh, etc.)

What are you guys listening to?

Also, I'm teaching all my students some summer songs. Top of the list: M"Margarittaville" by Jimmy Buffett.

What are the teachers here teaching their students for summer days?
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    Hidden Content

"...embrace your fear..."

Last year, while being on vacation in Italy i stumbled over the "Getz/Gilberto"-album. Since it features Girl from Ipanema I though I might give it a try - thankfully i did!! This is the perfect summer album for me; even if the songs might sound a bit samey and boring if youre not in the right mood for them; the saxophone solos totally make up for it - great phrasing, tone and vibrato; so thats everything i like about solo-playing! :-) ..... Actually its quite a cool effect when listening to "Girl...." since the sax comes on totally unexpected and on higher volume, so there´s a chance to appal (sp?) the first time around, because the rest of the music´s just SO relaxing :-)

ALEX
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

Hidden Content

WOW, Jack Johnsons first three albums, the beachiest stuff there is out there.

Fralalalala....
    I agree with Jack Johnson.
    I've also just got (well my Dad has, but I've nicked it ) The Best Of The Beach Boys... which should keep me going until summer comes.

Licensed Moose
    That's if we get a summer here in the UK. I think we got a couple of weeks of sunniness where I am last year, and that was my lot.

I agree with Jack Johnson definately. I think Riviera Paradise by SRV is a very chilled out song to listen to when you're chilling in the sun.

Nick

EDIT: And I forgot to add, if you like a little 'poppier style' rock music for the summer, definately check out Jonny Lang's "Long Time Coming" album. He does a lot of blues work on his other albums but I think that album is definately one of his most commerical/radio friendly albums, has some nice guitarwork, and the tunes are quite catchy.
    Last edited by Lowthorpe; 04-16-2006 at 12:53 PM.
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

I just heard the new belle and sebastian cd. It seems summery. It's really ****ing good.