Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: I met Satch and Satch's band!

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar

I met Satch and Satch's band!

Went to see Satch and Eric Johnson on Wednesday......Got a pic with Joe's guitar and a pic with Joe holding my guitar.. I totally blanked when I met the man and forgot to ask any questions! ah well, didn't have much time, maybe a couple minutes....he had to get through lots of people...didn't want to take up all his time...I just told him how I got into Tommy Emmanuel from his recommendation in Guitar World, which led me into John Butler of the John Butler trio (was thinking about those amazing videos posted here, hehe)... Told him I loved his little drawings...basically just shot the **** for a minute...kind of disappointed I didn't ask any questions (I was nervous and didn't expect to be picked so quick), but whatever, it was enough to just talk to him, shake his hand etc...After all, he did do one of his characters on my guitar and signed it in two places. When he saw my JS 1200 he said "Your guitar's nicer than mine!" That was pretty damn cool! I'll put the pics from the show up on Flickr or one of those picture hosting sites, as well as the pics of the guitar...It looks really great! I've got between 30 and 40 great shots...I was in the front row and Joe played directly in front of me for a good portion of the night. (8-10 feet away) Also met the whole band, talked to Jeff Campitelli for 15 or 20 minutes. He's a really funny and down to earth guy. Asked him if he ever gets sick of playing the same songs all the time and he said no because they're great songs and he never gets sick of it and just has a blast every time. He signed my laminate and my guitar. Shook hands with Larue and told him 'great show!" but we lost him somewhere. Then I met Galen Henson, talked with him for a good 10-15 minutes. He told me he was a tech for 20 years or something before he started playing for Joe..I think he was Joe's tech for a bit, if I'm not mistaken. I asked him how to set up my JS 1200 like Joe's and he played it and looked at it and gave me lots of help with that, including pickup height, angle, action, neck relief and whatnot. smile.gif Then he signed my guitar and my laminate....Super nice guy! Joe seemed really drained...he sure put out a lot of energy on stage, but he was seeming like he kind of wanted to just get through it all and get to bed...still smiled and signed everything and answered questions and everything....cool guy...really small too! Asked the tour guide if I could talk to Mike Manning and he was like "You won't see him again tonight...he has a date with Jack.....if you know what I mean!" hahaha...If I had to set up all those floating trem guitars, I'd be a drinker too! ....Joe and the band were ON FIRE!!!...The tightest I've ever heard them play, live and on DVD...The whole band brought their 'A' game that night.Joe never plays a song the exact same way. Lots of improv, lots of new additions to the songs,extended solos, lots of absolute SHREDDING....You guys HAVE to see Cool #9 and one Robot's Dream performed live...just amazing! Satch Boogie had some great new riffs...I got a couple great shots of the overhand thing in The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing...It's tough to time a pic of that move just right! Summer Song was a great closer and had everybody bobbing their heads...everyone just rushed to the front of the stage for that one..Arguably one of the best songs of the night, and the best version of Summer song I've ever heard... He just keeps getting better. His energy was just incredible. He was just so exciting to watch and listen to, unlike EJ who just stood in the same spot and was plagued with technical difficulties and he also duffed Cliffs of Dover pretty bad, but...he still had some great moments like SRV which sounded just like the G3 DVD...Didn't like the Rocktopus tune too much...Trademark was awesome.... I might get flamed for this, but ah well: I think Joe has Vai beat in the chops and endurance category! IMHO of course! All in all, an amazing experience that I will never forget.smile.gif

PS-Galen Henson told me there will be a G3 tour in the fall. I suggested Neil Young as the third G, so they could really do Rockin' In The Free World right...that made him laugh...Just goes to show, these guitar idols, heroes, whatever you want to call them are all just regular guys like us when it comes down to it...
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 04-17-2006 at 04:17 AM.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Nice! Wish I could have seen that show.

I've seen Eric Johnson live, and have to pretty much agree with everything you had to say about him. He's a great guitar player, but he needs to stop looking at his hands for a while and look like he's enjoying himself, MAYBE even interact with the audience once in a while.

EJ is better experienced through CD for me.
    Home is where you hang your guitar.

Wow! That MUST have been a greeaat experience! Wish I could see him only once in my life!!!

Hey, where can we see your pics? I'm really curious!!

Great story!
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?

MetalHead \m/
    Awsome man, definatly would've shat my pants lol.
    "Just Shred It"
    - DimeBag Darrel (1966 - 2004) RIP

realizing dreams
    The pics!

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    The pics aren't ready quite yet...I used someone else's digital camera, and they live about 4 hours north of me, so they have to edit them a bit and then send them to me through e-mail. As soon as I get them, I will put them up.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

George! Glad to hear it all went weel! Lookin forward to seein the pics!

Sounds like quite an experience.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Sounds like a really cool experience George!!! I'm quite looking forward to the pics!!

Can't wait to see those pics! I saw him Friday (not Platinum though). If anyone cares to read it, here's my review of Joe Satriani at Berklee Performance Center on Friday, April 14, 2006:

I have been a fan since "Surfing With The Alien (1988)" but have never had the chance to see Joe in concert. It was well worth the wait! My Brother-In-Law and I, both of us guitarists, kept exclaiming "Did you see that?! HOW DID HE DO THAT?!"

When my Wife asked me what my favorite part was, I had to say it's watching him play. Just stunning. You can tell that he takes absolute joy in what he does. He's not cocky at all, just entertaining and excited to share his gift with the audience.

He seems to be 49 going on 20! His energy is admirable, as is his talent.

Seeing Eric Johnson opening for him was a treat as well. I've been a fan since 1989 and haven't had a chance to see him in concert either. He and Joe are way up the list of my biggest influences as a guitarist (along with Andres Segovia and Michael Hedges). I do wish they could have worked out the bugs in the sound during Eric's set. The mix was terrible and there were hum problems with his feed into the PA. His playing (as well as Tommy Taylor and Chris Maresh's) was top notch. He played some new songs not from 2005's "Bloom" (does this mean it won't be another 7 years between albums ;-) ) and a nice surprise of one penned by Chris Maresh! I was particularly impressed that, when a fan yelled "I LOVE YOU" right before Eric went into SRV, Eric stumbled, but just turned that stumble into a groove with Tommy, eventually hooking into the intro. Nice to see Eric interact with the crowd too, he's not known for being chatty! Someone asked for a song and he said "Sorry, that's Eric Clapton, not Eric Johnson! On another occasion someone asked for a polka, and the band did one, mercifully breif. Hilarious!

As far as Joe goes, well, what can I say: The sound, the band (Jeff Campitelli is about as solid a drummer as I've ever seen in concert and Dave LaRue is outstanding on bass, Galen could've been a bit more upfront, his mix was buried), the setlist (unlike many others, I've never seen him in concert, so I liked the stuff off "Surfing" while some complain that it's been done), Joe's presence, all of it. Perfection!

Nice to hear a good call & response on "Crowd Chant," a track from his new album "Super Colossal" where the audience gets involved! I was nervous after reading reviews of other shows where crowds were silent. Way to go Boston!

As usual, I found the BPC disappointing as a venue. The sound, under the balcony, is awful. It bounces around and it's just not complimentary at all. I'd suggest the Somerville Theater in Somerville (Davis Sq) next time. The acoustics in that hall are beautiful.

To any attending future shows: If you get the black shirt, just be aware that the tour dates/artwork on the back are at the bottom (I mean waaaay down) corner of the shirt, not the middle. I didn't look at mine after buying and was quite surprised.

Here's the Setlist (thanks to satriani.com user "StratDaddy"):

Flying in Blue Dream
    The Extremist
    Redshift Riders
    Cool #9
    A Cool New Way
    Satch Boogie
    Super Colossal
    Just Like Lightnin
    One Robot's Dream
    Ice 9
    Ten Words
    Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
    Meaning of Love
    Made of Tears Circles
    Always with me, always with you
    Surfing with the Alien

Encore:

Crowd Chant
    Summer Song

-DRV
    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
    Sitting on a cornflake

I was at the one on tuesday at Philly. Great concert, similiar setlist to the one mentioned above. Im pretty sure during crowd chant that it was pre recorded since I saw few people get into around me and just in general, and the vocals were too good, lol.