Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What classical piece is this?

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar

What classical piece is this?

Hey there....I use this classical piece to warm up sometimes...I remember it was a great piece to improve endurance, hand coordination, arpeggiation, string skipping skills, position shifts, adjacent string transfer etc etc..., but I only remember the first few bars, which I've tabbed out in powertab...I forgot the name and I really would like a full tab of it if it exists...I want to master it, but I have no idea what it's called....Presto something maybe? Bach? I remember it was published in a guitar mag back in the early to mid nineties by someone in a lesson segment...Maybe John Petrucci? Steve Morse? Thanks...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like one of Bach's Violin Sonatas... maybe Sonata in G minor for solo Violin? (I am not sure though)

-Jorge
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

yup, it's the presto section (4th movement) of Bach's 1st sonata for solo violin

Quote Originally Posted by silent-storm
    yup, it's the presto section (4th movement) of Bach's 1st sonata for solo violin
    ok, thanks man! Hopefully I can find a tab of it somewhere...
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a couple of versions in text format..

http://www.wussu.com/classtab/jsb1001p.txt

couldn't find a powertab...ah well. Anybody have any suggestions for other good classical pieces go as far as good technical exercises?
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 04-19-2006 at 05:42 AM.

One of my favorites for that is Prelude No.2 in Cm from the well-tempered Clavier, also by JS Bach. I transcribed the right hand part of that, and later figured out that I liked the left hand part even more... I used that as a practising etude a lot, sounds great and is quite challenging at high tempos. I wish I still had the TAB-arrangement I made for it. I have seen several different versions, but I didnt like some of the fingerings of those.
    Eric

All the Bach solo violin stuff is incredible. There is a lifetime of work and knowledge contained in just those. As far as I know there are 3 sonatas and 3 partita's.

His cello suites are also great. I was at an Avishai Cohen clinic once where he said he learned all the Bach cello suites in 12 keys...

Steve Morse mentioned that he started getting into alternate picking by working on Bachīs violin sonatas... he wanted to learn those and when he started working on them, he noticed that he needed to improve his picking a lot in order to play them consistently, so he was inspired to do just that
    Eric

the prelude bwv1006 is good for that stuff too

I had a great time learning Vivaldi's Winter. I havnt touched it in a while nor do i have the cd with me. I think it was the outro to the final movement, that was the most challenging. It is very scale based but with lots of interesting leaps involved.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Sonata No.1 in Gm for Violin - Presto. (These fingerings and positions are all messed up.)

VK
    Yesterday's dissonance is today's consonance, while today's atonal is tomorrow's consonance-Liebman

Right, the first text version in the link CG gave seems much more playable.

The first 3 bars is a wicked pentatonic lick all in "box 1" in that version - worth having a look just for that.. and then the next 3 is basic arp and into a nice harmonic minor lick... can't resist having a crack at this (more largo than presto though for me). Still, I think i'd rather spend time on this than mind numbing chromatics any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    Right, the first text version in the link CG gave seems much more playable.

The first 3 bars is a wicked pentatonic lick all in "box 1" in that version - worth having a look just for that.. and then the next 3 is basic arp and into a nice harmonic minor lick... can't resist having a crack at this (more largo than presto though for me). Still, I think i'd rather spend time on this than mind numbing chromatics any day of the week.
    There are a few fingerings which are a bit easier in the second version...I think I'm going to merge them into one, then I'll powertab it and post it here.

Cool - I'll look forward to that! I think this is great chop builder and a good party piece too!

I looked at the ptb ( the one with the messed up fingerings... might be a MIDI-import... once you do that, you usually get wacky fingerings ), and I changed the fingerings of the first 28 or so bars... itīs a quick job, took about 10 min, and so it might not be as playable yet as it could be, but it for sure is better than before.
    I love the short part that starts at bar 25...beautiful