Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: violistist , concertos, string quartets

violistist , concertos, string quartets

Which violistist are like or in the style like Paganini , Antonio Vivaldi ?

Which String Quartets or Violin Concertos are in the style of metal or yngwie mainsteen like Neo classical metal guitarist?

What would be a good start for string quartets and violin concertos ?

Try the Brandenburg Concert #3. That will keep you busy for a few years (specially if you are working on singing the phantom of the opera at the same time)
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Which Violinist do u like ?

Brandenburg Concert #3 is from Bach

Which other piece from bach have really good violin parts that use diminised, augmented, melodic/harmonic minor phrases melodies please?

What are some good string quartets please?

What are some good violin concertos please?

I picked Brandenburg #3 precisely because it has everything you asked for in your first post. Learn that one, do not worry about anything else, a lot of Vivaldi's stuff is very Bach-like (I think Tchaikovsky <sp?> once made a joke about Vivaldi not writing 104 concerts but simply writing the same concert 104 times...). That concert will keep you busy, stick to it. There are copies of that score available for free online (check the links thread to find a site with a ton of classical music). Also if you are really serious about listening to it check this site www.classicalarchives.com . This should be enough.

Enjoy.

-Jorge

Bach Brandenburg concerto 3? i can't really hear it sounds major and relative minor to me i don't really hear augmented,diminished,harmonic/melodic lines
    (from the brandenburg concerto set)

Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 538, "Dorian" i could only find a organ version not a violin version

Do u mean Bach Violin Concerto#3 or Bachs Brandenburg Concerto #3
    because i listen to both and i can't really hear that at all what am i missing
    a special version im listening to the Naxos versions

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major, BWV 1048?

There are no augmented sounds in barroque music. I don't think augmented arpeggios are featured that much in the classical or romantic period either. There are definitely diminished arpeggios in that concert. I haven't played in a while (I know I have the score somewhere) so I can't tell you which bar, but there is one part where the counterbass is holding a low pedal note while the two violins are playing arpegios alternately (is in the middle somewhere) just listen carefully and you'll find what I'm talking about.

-Jorge

Ps. it is the brandenburg concert in G major. The beauty of it is all the modulations and tonizations that happen inbetween the first and the last chord. Analyze it. It's a treat.

My ear can't tell the modulations and tonizations how do u train your ear to hear them ?

How do u make up a diminished melody line?
    How do i songwrite melodys lines that are diminished based?

Answer #1: You analyze pieces on paper and then listen to them do that over and over again and then you will start listening for patterns and some things will jump at you.

Answer #2: You can build a diminished melody by simply stacking minor 3rds (you'll end up with a fully diminished 7 arpeggio but that's the way the diminished runs were used back in those days. I don't think the octatonic scale was in full use in the barroque period)

Answer #3: You sit down and WRITE, you can't expect people to hand everything to you. Songwritting cannot be taught in a forum over the internet. You need to sit down and write a crap load of bad songs and everytime seing what it is that you are doing wrong until your stuff starts sounding decent.

It is best to try and convey an image, emotion, or whatever in a melody line instead of saying "I will write a melody using the Dorian #4 scale" and then forcing that scale sound in.

So don't worry too much about the diminished scale. I've found that the best way to apply this stuff in songwriting is listening to the music you like and see how your "heroes" apply these things. If you need me to tell you what to listen to and how to apply some knowledge that's so obscure to you that you can't even recognize it then you may be trying this backwards.

What kind of music do you like? What do you want your music to sound like? Don't dwell so much on technicallities that you totally miss the musical aspect of things (can't see the forest for the trees) . Cut down your internet time. Spend some time on your instrument, practice, compose, discover new things on your own, figure out some music by ear, study some trascriptions, LISTEN to music. Those things will help you out a lot more than me telling you the exact application of the diminished scale.

How about you work something out, record it and then ask for some feedback. People have given you A LOT of advice here and I don't think you are quite digesting it all.

Let me know how it goes.

-Jorge

What music uses the diminished scale alot? which composers?

stacking minor 3rds (you'll end up with a fully diminished 7 arpeggio

I have tried this but it sounds like a bunch of arpeggio diminished melodies

But i need some "examples" of melodies using the diminished scale please?

Quote Originally Posted by brent
    But i need some "examples" of melodies using the diminished scale please?

This:

Quote Originally Posted by brent
    Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major, BWV 1048?

but any other examples please ? what other pieces by bach or other composers ?

Three words: Practice. Be creative.

Good luck (I threw in two more as a bonus)

-Jorge

woah!!! calm down brent.. your going to explode if you continue like this..

If you cant tell by listening if something is diminished or augmented ect.. maybe you should stick to the fundamentals and practice building and playing different chords.. listen to some bebop jazz tunes if all you want are ideas for using those intervals on your guitar.. its not much different to what your after, just played in different rhythms. Same idea though, if i understand what your after correctly.
    or possibly some Dimitri Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff.. Dimitri wrote many symphonys with rather dark sounding atmospheric violin parts. Rach was a pianist but he also included these diminished feels in his works.
    If you dig around on P2P programs you might be able to find some of Bachs organ works on guitar search "Sharon Isbin"
    Classtab.net has all this stuff tabbed too.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Is there a such thing as Diminished or augmented KEYS?

Because what Baroque music or baroque composers used diminished scales or melodies please?

Becaues Yngwie Mainsteen i think writes all his melodies in diminished and uses alot of tritones how do i get like this ?