Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meshchosis

Meshchosis

So, basically me noodling around ontop of a meshuggaheqsue rythm I made this morning. Also added some disonant clean stuff in the background.

Whatya think?
    Meshchosis

16 views and no comments?

:P

Hey Dracwell,

I thought it was really cool!

You have that typical Thordendal singing lead tone there and the rhythm guitar bending thing, along with the drums, is very much like Meshuggah.

I would play the riff a little more tuned down though, like on a 7 string. Makes it sound more powerful and even more like Meshuggah...

Anyways, sounds cool!
    TK

hey, it is a 7-string tuned down a half step (or rather four guitars) :P
    and yes. played on the lowest strings; Bb and Eb. But no bass though and the guitars are highpassed from 60Hz, so no low-end thump here.

Yeah! Actually saw that when it aired and taped the rerun of it and put it on the net. I think that's actually the one I recorded. not sure though. Looks like it judging the baad video and the lousy sound work I did lol. Still rules though. The best part is when Fredrik almost break out into laughter when morgan goes wild.
    Last edited by DracWell; 08-02-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Oh, really? Sounded a bit thin for my ears, like you were playing higher on the neck or something...

Well, just add some bass guitar and itīs all good...

haha. don't own a bass so I pitched a guitar and fooled around with it.
    Meshchosis2

Better?

EDIT: Darn pumping on the bass/kick/something. That' why I stay away from bass, they always give me trouble!

Much better!!!

Also, when recording stuff like this, make sure that you can hear the drums loud and clear, specialy the bass and snare drum, and that the bass drum is totally in sync with the bass/rhythm guitar. You can hear that in the Fredrik/Morgan clip...guitar and bass drum are tight as one! Thatīs were a lot of the Meshuggah power also comes from. Guitar, bass and bass drum are just one polyrythmic unity.

That's really cool! I like that droning rythm under there...

Now for showing my age and ingnorance - what does meshuggaheqsue rythm mean? I googled it and got nothing. Is there some theory behind it? What scales were you improving over it?

That video Thorsten add is cool to...I like this stuff...

Meshuggah - I see - they are a band. Old and ignorant that is me. Cool stuff!

Thorsten and there's a reason why the kick is pretty low, I'm not tight on the rhtyhm part :S It'll be better when we actually demo it with my band.

JohnJumper, as for theory on leads uhm basically diminshed and whole-half the rest is just notes that comes and go. as for the rhythm, it's a figure that doesn't come back to the 1st beat until after 16 measures. Pretty much meshuggah in a nutshell.

Hey,

I got my 7-string and quickly recorded a real short passage just to see if I could come up with some Thordendal/Meshuggah-like stuff. This stuff is really fun to play but to make it a whole song with all itīs time- changes, weird riffs and crazy soloing you just need a lot more time...

Anyway, hope you dig this!
    Attached Files Attached Files

LOL, love the name of that file, dude... and the playing, of course !
    Eric

Meshchosis2 sounded good!
    Keep working on that.

Good to see that someone put parts from the Morgan drum show on the net. That show is probably one of the funniest shows that ever hit public service TV. It's a show about drumming, but all episodes are like first we jam a lot, then we show one drum exercise way too fast, then we jam a bit more. ...and sometimes Morgan recommends records, from 1983 or so, only pressed in a 1000 copies, in Japan, but still, very good to listen to if you are a drummer.

Thorsten, nice. but isn't that the riff from the video? :P But you're right, making a whole meshuggah song is really time consuming. Sure you can have all these polymetrcis, but does it sound good?

FredrikD aaah. I remember when the reruns was showed during summer mornings when I had vacation. The perfect show to see when you woke up.