Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Interesting grooves

Interesting grooves

How do you suggest going about getting some interesting rhythms ideas? Im a metal player and want to improve my rhythm playing

Study other styles of music. Other styles often have rythms and grooves that are common in that style, but not in the style you're used to playing. You can steal these ideas and incorporate them into what you do.

I talk to spiders... CaptainCaveman's Avatar
    Try some new alternate tunings. They tend to open up a lot of posibilities you might never have thought of. Just Experiment with it. Detune a string and play some ideas with it. Then perhaps detune another. If you are a lead player as well, you will of course have to leave some strings in standard tuning for improvising...

If you prefer to stay in standard tuning, The alternate tunings can still serve to create interesting rhythm ideas, which you can the adapt to Standard tuning (Or Drop-D, or whatever you like).
    Last edited by CaptainCaveman; 08-13-2006 at 08:53 AM.

As Poparad said, listen to other kinds of music, and other instruments. Check out a few precussionists at work and try some of their rythms on guitar.

Yeah, check out other styles. Funk got interesting rhythms, to be specific. I've also plans about exploring reggae, which sounds a bit different. Emphasizing the even beats (2...4...), as opposed to the odd ones (1...3...) is underlined in most music.

When I listened to Kiko Loureiro´s No Gravity album, I heard a strong latin-influence (might be because he´s from South America), and it was quite interesting to hear that kind of stuff woven into these songs (keep in mind that Angra, his band, plays metal).
    For example, the title-track has a latin-style breakdown, and IMO it fits into the song quite well, and was a nice break.
    So listening to and figuring out some of the rhythms and harmonies from other styles might give you some whole new ideas, rhythmically and regarding harmony and note choice.
    Eric

Just last night I was listening to Ali Farka Toure, a fantastic african guitarist (who passed away recently, om march 7). If you get a chance, listen to his stuff its truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poparad
    Study other styles of music. Other styles often have rythms and grooves that are common in that style, but not in the style you're used to playing. You can steal these ideas and incorporate them into what you do.
    I agree absolutely

Check This Out! (attachment) :
    Attached Files Attached Files