Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Help please

Question Help please

I was fooling around with my guitar and I started playing some majoradd2 arpeggios on the top 4 strings in the key of c. I realized that you could play a c minor progression using a c major chord and you could finish the progression on either a c major or a c minor and the progression would still sound "resolved". Why is this??

It depends on the progression your using. most likely your using some kind of G7-C cadence. and V-I resolutions can lead to a major or minor chord. for example: G7-C or G7-Cm. the reason for this: look at the notes of the G7 Chord: G-B-D-F. the F is the 4th of C, which causes a lot of tension (take a look at the master calss article on this site) and a B, the major 7th of C, which is used as a 'leading tone' which resolves back to C. that's why it would still sound 'resolved'.
    but if your using a different progression, let me know what it is and I'll try to explain the resolution.

The progression that I was using involved straight up major chords, no G7, etc. It was majoradd2 arpeggios in a C, Eb, C, Ab progression.