Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: ive been playing guitar for 2 years and...

ive been playing guitar for 2 years and...

i dont know how to read music. should i start now ? or what ? i was lazy and didnt want to learn and many musicians i know told me its really good if you know.

It's good. learn now. Start here. Check articles. g'lcuk. Welcome to IBM.

Being able to read sheet music is a very valuable skill. Especially if you ever plan on playing with other instruments like saxophone, violin, etc etc. It's also good to know if your going to be playing with a drummer. The skill of reading sheet music also indirectly familiarizes you with basic time signatures and rhythm.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

This is a question that will draw responses from all directions. A lot depends on your goals as a guitar player. For piano, violin, wind instruments and such, yes ... learn to read music.

For guitar only, I don't think you need to be able and read music in most situations. If you are going to play guitar as a professional classical or studio musician, then definitely yes. With that said, you can learn to read music and not have to equate a note on the staff with a note on the fretboard as you play. This will allow you to read sheet music and interpret how you are going to play it on the guitar.

One possible route you could go to quickly learn to read music is get some introduction to piano books; there are thousands of them and they are cheap. Maybe you can even borrow an inexpensive keyboard from someone or buy an el cheapo at Wal Mart or Target.

Because the notes are laid out logical and linear on a keyboard, it is a relatively simple process to learn basic reading and equate the dots on the staff to the notes/keys. Intro piano books also gradually introduce notations and timing signatures, etc. If you study for 20 minutes a day or so, within a few weeks you should be reading basic music with chords, etc.

I studied piano for about six months and that is how it worked out for me. The best thing that came from my studies was learning to read basic music notation. Your mileage may vary.

Also, consult with your instructor. Discuss your long-term goals and ask if you need to read music.

Good luck!

realizing dreams
    sheet music sucks. When I was at school I knew many people who played in an orchestra with a classical instrument and the only thing they could was playing from the paper, they had no idea of what's going on and couldn't develop their ears!
    As a guitar player you barely need to read music, when you want a sax player to play your line, just play it and he will do it on his instrument. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by Padawan; 08-28-2006 at 02:38 PM.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    sheet music sucks. When I was at school I knew many people who played in an orchestra with a classical instrument and the only thing they could was playing from the paper, they had no idea of what's going on and couldn't develop their ears!
    As a guitar player you barely need to read music, when you want a sax player to play your line, just play it and he will do it on his instrument. Just my opinion though.
    It doesn't suck as bad as you say...it's true, those are the classical players...they practice pieces and spend their lives reading papers...without noticing what they are doing...specially violin players...gotta check the ones that live in my city...(they all suck!!)

Back to topic, i think music reading is as important as developing your aural skills...and it's a very important skill to composers...it's ok that you only want to play guitar, but what if you want people to remember and to PLAY your own music?? maybe not too many people have the opportunity to develop great aural skills...so they refer themselves to a paper...so they can play your music in say, 100 years after this thread...

Think about that...

David

Knowing the staff is a great way to get familiar with intervals. It will help with spelling chords / scales, it's a great way to free yourself from pattern playing,....some of that statement is assumed, I'm not quite there yet.

A wise man once said: " there's no use knowing all the notes on the fretboard, if you don't know what notes you're looking for"

That's my wisdom for the day

-best,
    Mike

Nice quote.

I think it helps to use learning written music to put it all in context from a melodic and rhythmic context. No harm in that.

Also not everything has been tabbed. After walking about 3 miles down my jazz road I found that standard notation needed to be with me. I'm still not able to read standard notation fast enough to play from it on the fly, but, I can read it well enough to understand what is going on. IMHO sooner or later most will benefit if they can read standard notation.

Sheet music is great. I love the fact that it allows me to sit down and play a piece of music that I have never heard before, that some guy wrote 200 years ago. It certainly doesn't stop me developing my ear or from understanding what I'm playing.

I'd say get a cheap nylon string and a beginners book on classical guitar. That way you can learn two skills at once.
    ________
    Toyota fchv specifications
    Last edited by widdly widdly; 04-11-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Yes

Tabs are great, but tabs alone don't tell you how a song should be played. If you can read tabs and the music, it's magic.