Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: My right hand (picking) is feeling weird!

My right hand (picking) is feeling weird!

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is normal and I'm curious to know if anyone here has gone throught such weird situation.

It started about a year ago. At that time, I had been using Jazz III picks for a while and suddenly, these picks started to feel weird between my picking fingers (thumb and index). So, back then, I tought I should just change the pick. So after a few tries, I ended up my choice on Dunlop Tortex 1.14 mm.

Recently, well, the weird feeling about the pick as just started again (let's say about 3 months ago). My right hand feels strange, I can't play as fast as I used to. It's like I'm starting all over again to play guitar.

I'm not a regular player. Some days I can play for 30 minutes, others for 3 hours.

For the past few days, I've been playing more as my band got a gig booked (at the last minute) for next saturday September 9th. The weird feeling about my right hand seems to "amplify" and last evening, after a few hours of pratice, my index holding the pick was hurting... weird!!! It's definitely stressing me a lot to feel so uncomfortable with my picking hand. For the rhythms it doesn't bother me much but for those quick solo runs... I'm getting nervous. The only thing I can see to help me out before the gig, will be to hide a few hours before and warm up at a slow pace.

So my Q: Anyone here went thought such a weird phase? If yes, how did you get over it?

Am I getting too old, should I quit and start palying golf???????? :P

BTW, don't venture into the "psychological path" with my situation vs playing live. I don't mind playing in front of people and that weird "right hand" feeling started way way back before the gig was booked. Anyway, the most stressful part of that gig is managing the 2 hours gig of the contract as the band was on a more than 6 months break due to our singer doing a backpack trip in Europe!

So go ahead, comment and discuss! Thanks in advance!

Amateur gynecologist smallbusrider's Avatar
    I think some of us are afflicted with this and will have to deal with it the rest of our life. I'm sure that it is nerves on our part whether you care to admit it or not. You may think it is not psychological but that is not for you or I to figure out. It can be deep rooted -The fact that it was months before the gig has nothing to do with it. This happens when practicing, rehearsing and playing out(to me anyway). But I think as the night goes on, you probably get into "grooves" where you can play fine (am I right?). The only cure is to play more so these incidences last a shorter time. I'm glad you said something, I thought I was the only one dealing with this. Also, it is probably a good idea to get checked out by a neurologist (I did). Good Luck.
    Last edited by smallbusrider; 09-07-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    "Life's too short to dance with Psycho Chicks."

realizing dreams
    Have you thought about leaving out those quick runs? The people won't care anyway, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    Have you thought about leaving out those quick runs? The people won't care anyway, don't you think?
    I can cheat most of them with "legatos"... So, I should do fine. But that weird "right hand" behavior these days is freaking me out anyway!

BTW, a friend told me that switching from floyd rose bridge to a LP fixed bridge could be part of the problem... I had not tought about this and I bought a guitar with a fixed bridge a few months ago... My first! I wonder if this could be a part of the problem...
    Last edited by BenoA; 09-07-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenoA
    I can cheat most of them with "legatos"... So, I should do fine. But that weird "right hand" behavior these days is freaking me out anyway!

BTW, a friend told me that switching from floyd rose bridge to a LP fixed bridge could be part of the problem... I had not tought about this and I bought a guitar with a fixed bridge a few months ago... My first! I wonder if this could be a part of the problem...
    I don't see how the bridge could be the issue unless it was the other way around. You can't rest your hand on a FR bridge so I'm assuming you float your hand while picking, or at most anchor your pinky. I could see where going from a fixed to a FR would be an issue if you were now trying to float your hand. Honestly either you have a nerve issue in the mind, or a nerve/tendon issue in the hand. Both of those should be remedied with a doctor's visit.

Happened to me as well

Doc Watson once explained to me that he had the same problem, but learned to not pick with just the wrist, which causes all kinds of repetitive stress injuries, but to move your arm more from your elbow - keeping your right hand in position. It's helped me, and Doc is still playing!

I have had the same problem only that it was my fretting hand index finger that hurt. There's only one solution. that is to consciously relax ur fingers when u play. Let ur speed drop a bit. but play with NO excess tension.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by slash_ragnarok
    I have had the same problem only that it was my fretting hand index finger that hurt. There's only one solution. that is to consciously relax ur fingers when u play. Let ur speed drop a bit. but play with NO excess tension.

cheers
    So many people do this. When they start to play fast, they tense up their hand and arm and this is exactly the sort of thing that causes RSI. You'll find it much easier if you relax.

Also, a good thing to make it a bit better, there are certain stretches you can do. The idea is, you've overstretched one muscle group, and you need to work on the other muscle group (as muscles work in pairs).

To help with injury caused by overtensing your arm, hold your hand out without bending your wrist, and stretch your fingers apart. This should help the muscles. Another thing you can do is apply ice to your wrist, and if the pain goes away a bit, you know it is caused by a swelling in your wrist. Which is surely RSI.

I hope you can get this sorted out dude, RSI is one of the worst things that can hit you as a musician. There is hope, you just have to be careful and definitely see a doctor about it if its that bad.
    My guitar tuition website: www.ChainsawGuitarTuition.net