Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New song, I have a question about it..

New song, I have a question about it..

Hey guys, I just recorded a new song, and I put a harmony part in it, it sounds like it's alright to me, I was wondering if you guys think it works....also I would like you to comment on my singing, I'm not really sure how i'm doing, I dont really get any other view, thanks guys...

http://www.myspace.com/ctdred It's called "If Nothing Else"

Later
    Ryan

icey_cold666
    Hey,

Checked out your song... it's awesome, seriously... congrats heaps on it!!!
    Wondering if you could give us a hand. Just wrote lyrics to a song (in reaction to a "oh-so-painful" break-up last week) and though i havent arranger the music to it yet, the lyrics are frustrating me. I want them to mean more because at the moment they sound like something sooky and that is so not what I was going for.
    Don't know if it makes sense but, I want to get the same message across, I just want a different way to say it...

Well done with your song again!
    icey_cold666 <3

I would be happy to help out with your lyrics if you want, Ill check them out.....And thanks for the compliments....

icey_cold666
    Yeh, it would be so good to get some help with these lyrics.
    I was just wondering, is there any particular way that you come across what you want to write a song about. Like, how do you write what you want to say? Because I was listening to your stuff on myspace and some of the lyrics are really, really nice (for lack of a better word, lol)
    icey_cold666 <3

I have put myself in different situations in my life, I speak from the heart.....I do not just try to write songs to be generic, Im real with the things I care about.....And I can also seem to be able to put my mind into it's own little world and create feelings from it, by just imagining what a certain situation may feel like....I really don't know how to explain it....I just write what I feel, and it comes out into song form....

icey_cold666
    I understand what you mean.. but I can't seem to do that. Yeh, there have been situations that I go to write about and even though I know roughly what I would like to say, the words never sound the way I want them to on the page. But then again, maybe I'm just being picky
    icey_cold666 <3

How old are you?

icey_cold666
    I'm only 16... Why?
    How old are you?
    icey_cold666 <3

18, I was just wondering...Because the younger you are when your writing, the more discouraging it gets....I started at a very young age 8 or 9 I think....I didn't have a focused objective when I was younger, but I always loved to write.....Writing like anything is something that comes with practice, which may sound goofy, but it's true.
    If I were you I would read alot of your favorite artists lyrics, read alot of your favorite writers work, and poetry, and really stand back and just look at other people's work....This is what I did when I started getting serious about my lyrics.....I just built up this ensemble of different phrases and words, and I started using them....
    And another thing I would do is take a dictionary, go thorugh and find four or five words and build a poem on them, and then I would go from there......Lyrics are an ongoing process, I have lyrics that I've been working on for the past 2 or 3 years, but the song I posted here only took 20 minutes music and all.....
    For me to write it takes a clear mind, a good or bad experience, and about 3 ciggarettes(not suggesting that you start smoking though! bad for you!)

But that is a run down of how I tried to teach myself to write.

Later,
    Ryan

Give me an idea of how your break up went....what were the circumstances, I don't mean to prod, but I was thinking of maybe trying to work something up

icey_cold666
    Haha, 18 yeh? Awesome.

Mm, sounds like a good idea... and though I don't want to rush the whole writing process, it frustrates me beyond belief when I can't get it to sound right!
    Oh and about that cigarettes thing!!.. whoops, lol. As if you could blame me for it
    icey_cold666 <3

icey_cold666
    Don't worry... it's not prodding...

Ok, basically, it was last Friday! Wednesday he slept with his ex-girlfriend and then told me, very proudly, about it. He was being such a prick about it!!!! We had been fighting for a couple of months before that and it was only getting worse. That Friday night we were just hanging out in the city and he decided to hook up with some random chick in a club we were in. On Saturday, he rang and apologised but that was it, I was done with it... It hurt so much that weekend... I was "sooking" for the majority of it.

There you go, sorry if it was more detailed than you expected but let me know if you can come up with something
    icey_cold666 <3

no, not more detailed than I wanted, perfect.

icey_cold666
    That's good then, hope you can get something out of it!!! It's just loads and loads of drama that I didn't need... but oh well i suppose
    icey_cold666 <3

Ahhh, bless the pair of you.

ps. I'm actually thinking of recording the hip hop version and posting it, just fer fun you understand.

Now I've heard what your ex got up to i think he might deserve it anyway. Jeez, you need to find some nicer people to hang out with.