Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Another take of take 5

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Another take of take 5

I recorded the melody to Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" over rhythm and bass guitar and then just did some improv at the end. I play Aminor7 to Bminor 7 for the chords.

The improv part starts off with minor pentatonic. Then I just sort of go for more of a rhymical feel and try to choose notes carefully but after the melody, I just sort of went for it.

Looing for advice, comments, thoughts...Better chord subs to use, anything..

Thanks in advance, please give a listen..

Attached Files Attached Files
    Joey D

Hey Joey...very Nice man. What a cool song to learn and improvise to.

I really liked it. Since you asked for opinions the only thing I can say is at times it feels like you are rushing your sweeps a little....and I'm reaching on that. Overall that was damn fine improv.

My other peice of advise is to extend that song out oh say...10-15 minutes and record yourself playing whatever in the hell you can thing of. Then sit back and listen to it for idea. With your ears you will easily be able to pick out what you liked. Then use those ideas as motifs for the next round of improv.

BTW: I thought you said you couldn't improv? lol

I agree with gnulnx...damn fine improv. I always find it hard to improv in 5 and this tune is exactly what has helped me. I also found it very helpful to transcribe some of the improved solos from the recordings of this tune. Good job man and keep at it.

Rushed sweeps

Quote Originally Posted by gnulnx
    Hey Joey...very Nice man. What a cool song to learn and improvise to.

I really liked it. Since you asked for opinions the only thing I can say is at times it feels like you are rushing your sweeps a little....and I'm reaching on that. Overall that was damn fine improv.
    Yeah, I did rush the sweeps. I knew as soon as I listened back to the recording. My sweeping needs some work and I cheat by just raking over with the pick sometimes, rather than properly biting each string with the pick. . I definitely rushed the sweeps.

I had hoped to catch up on some playing this week but I have been home with the flu since Monday afternoon. Since Monday I had 2 pieces of toast, a glass of milk and some crackers... This is the first time I really was able to get out of bed and drag myself to the computer. Thank you for the comments, I appreciate it... Hey, on the bright side, my fever is down from 102.9 to 99.5.
    Joey D

Other tunes in 5

Quote Originally Posted by MikewillShred
    I agree with gnulnx...damn fine improv. I always find it hard to improv in 5 and this tune is exactly what has helped me. I also found it very helpful to transcribe some of the improved solos from the recordings of this tune. Good job man and keep at it.
    Thank you for the comments. Are there other tunes that have the same time signature? I don't follow jazz as much as I should but it would be interesting to hear other music in the 5...

I know we can't discuss equpiment but please allow me the liberty to say that I played that on my new PRS Soapbar II (korean import) AWSOME guitar...in wine red... sorry, I"m so excited about the new guitar I had to tell someone..
    Last edited by joeyd929; 02-14-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Joey D