Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The muting thread

Hey Jeansen,
    good to hear that you like the thread .

Hmm.. it is hard to give 100% solid advice without seeing how you acctually play. A 1 on 1 situation would definately be the best way to get a hold on the probs you describe.
    All in all you the right hand moves down towards the higher strings during you play and ascending run and angles a bit as well. You could take a close look on the way Satriani holds his hands to get an idea on how imean it to be - maybe i can put a little video up with a ascending run and the hands in close up, but that may take some days.
    Again, i won't say this is the only way to play guitar (of course) and there are lot of ways to get good results, so you might have to make adjustments to the described technique in order to make it work for your hands!

Good luck!

Prog is to die for
    I have the same problem as Jeansen. How to mute when playing on first three or even four strings?
    For example, if I'm doing a descending 16th note triplet pattern going 9-7-5 on g-string followed by 9-7-5 on d-string, and keep repeating that pattern, I cannot possibly mute the lower strings with my left-hand thumb, and it's certainly not easy to mute the d-string as I go back to the g-string.
    What do I do?

Great thread Sven...Lots of important but often ignored points acknowledged.

^Oh and emilan, when approaching a pattern like the one you've just stated, I find my self avoiding string noise when moving back to the G string by resting my index finger on the D string after hitting the G until I need it again to hit the C...

First of all great thread phantom! Thank you for putting the effort into addressing a really important playing issue that is so often overlooked.

Do you have any advice/techniques regarding muting when using hybrid picking methods?

Ex:*the famous hybrid picking section in Eric Johnsons Cliffs of Dover.

I've always had trouble playing that section without notes ringing together!!

emilan,
    may i ask you to read post number 7 in this thread, the one wich adresses how to mute during something like a run - no matter if ascending or decending. The "formula" is the same and it does not include reaching over with the thumb. That's the case with bendings, but in a scale-run situation you should make sure to have the fingers in a slight bow al the time with the thumb behind the neck.

Key points are:
    1) Lower strings are muted with the outer right hand side.
    2) Higher strings are muted with the inside of the left fingers
    3) Additionally, adjacent strings are muted with the fingertip (touching lower string) and the inside of the first joint (touching highter string).
    Just as explained in my long intro posts.

and it's certainly not easy to mute the d-string as I go back to the g-string.
    No, it certainly isn't.

What do I do?
    Practice.

elmariachi,

good question - now as i think of it, i don't change hand position when doing hybrid picking. As i use it as an "in between" technique it would be too much to change positions to execute a certain hybrid lick.
    That is the advantage (for me) to use hybrid picking as it falls almost naturally to the way i hold my right hand fingers. Usually i use my right hand middle finger to "pick/plug" the higher notes while the whole right hand keeps in position wich enables all the muting stuff i explained.

The lick you mentioned (if i think of the right one now) i'd play with the right hand lifted up to let the notes ring and use the left hand fingers to provide muting of the adjacent strings.
    It is not an easy lick and part of the uneasyness is definately the muting process. Good luck!

On a side note:
    As i read questions about hybrid picking quite often i wanted to mention that i have a hybrid picking article waiting in my drawer to be released.

I wanted to release it here at iBreathe exclusively, but as we have some issues here in the publishing process i might consider to release it at another page. I'll keep you updated!

Prog is to die for
    Ok! Thanks Sven!
    Down to practice then...

how exactly would i mute if i was doing a descending pattern on the two highest strings? as in going down the neck but only on the two highest strings...

GuitaRR,

did you do the effort reading the opening posts?
    If so and if not, go back to the adjacent string muting part... it is explained quite a few times.

The lower strings via right hand palm muting and when playing only e and b string via adjacent string mutin.
    When playing the e string mute the b string with the left hand fingertips.
    When playing the b string mute the e stringg with the inside of your fretting fingers first joint.
    Last edited by phantom; 06-21-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    GuitaRR,

did you do the effort reading the opening posts?
    If so and if not, go back to the adjacent string muting part... it is explained quite a few times.

The lower strings via right hand palm muting and when playing only e and b string via adjacent string mutin.
    When playing the e string mute the b string with the left hand fingertips.
    When playing the b string mute the e stringg with the inside of your fretting fingers first joint.
    I did read the posts...quite a few times actually

for e.g. when playing on the e string, if playing somethings thats fairly fast, how can you mute using the fingertips

When you play the high e string (or any other) and lightly touch the b string (or the one above the played string) with the fretting fingers fingertip it won't ring and cause noise.
    Quite simple, but needs to be practiced pretty concentrated and controlled.

Check the picture in post no.2. for reference. Same situation, different string.

About the "being able to mute while playing fast" - well you should be in controle no matter how fast you play. Being in controle includes being in control of string noise via muting as well. The whole "what should it sound like and how do i get there " theory i explained in those long post on page 1.
    Last edited by phantom; 06-21-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks for the advice phantom!

I was kind of divided between muting with the right and left hands for that particular lick. I tried just using the left hand fingers to mute the ringing of the G pedal as you suggested and its starting to sound alot better already.

I look forward to your hybrid picking article! (You could even take a look at that lick )

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say it has helped me a lot with my muting and I have recommended it to several friends and they think it's very good as well. My muting has improved quite a lot since reading this, so thanks again
    Last edited by Searching; 12-10-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Nice explanation!

Would you consider adding info on more muting scenarios? During pull-offs, particularly with the index finger to open strings. When the index finger is busy vibrating or bending, and so is more restricted. While tapping (right hand). While using the trem arm.

I made an instructional video about muting when tapping here, I hope you can use it: http://www.nielsvejlyt.com/index/ins...hred-on-guitar
    Get your FREE 2 hour shred guitar course at http://www.nielsvejlyt.com