Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Alternate picking AND sweep picking?

Alternate picking AND sweep picking?

Hey guys and girls!

I was just wondering after reading "Speed Mechanics for lead guitar", that Troy Stetina says, it isn't a good idea to both practice sweep picking and alternate picking?
    Thanks! :P

I've got that book. What he says is to not work on the same exercise for each at the same time. For example, don't practice an exercise such as a g major arpeggio in the 7th position with both Alternate picking and sweep picking. Instead, for example practice that arpeggio with sweep picking and another exercise for alternate picking that way you don't confuse your hands.

Hmm.. no offense, but i can't think of any reason why he could have wrote it that way.

I mean, you read that thing, what do you think? Why shouldn't someone practice both and why do you think Stetina wrote that?

Sweep picking and alternate picking are two important "weapons" in a guitar players arsenal - and again, i am sure you misunderstood something.

Did he mean economy picking and alternate picking?
    Hmm.. even if so, economy picking is like a extention of alternate picking.
    If ones alternate picking is bad, than switching to economy won't really help in the long run as consistent up and downstrokes are so basic when it comes to playing guitar.

So.. yeah, where did you read that exactly - maybe you can give us a quote?!

Cheers,
    Sven

Oh.. i see.. just read rockers reply.
    That sounds more logical.

Even though i might say that it does no harm to be able to sweep AND alternate pick the same arpeggio in the same position.
    There sure are different ways of practising that.

I've got that book and fortuneately I've reviewed it recently. What he means is that you should master one before the other. His book is assuming that the reader knows the minimum amount to be safe. If someone has not mastered alternate picking then he is suggesting that you hold off on learning economy and sweeping til later.

rr

Okay, But when do you "master" alternate picking?
    I mean, when I improvise, I always use alternate picking.
    But I can't pick faster than about 16th notes at 132 bpm.

Well, i don't know if there'll be ever be a stage where you can say you mastered a technique completely.
    At good times i can get up to like 210 bpm with 16th notes alternate picking, but it still gives me a hard time and i wonder if i like it to sound that way!

So i see it more like - what is the right method to accomplish a certain goal and not the technique beeing the only goal itself.
    Sometimes it's alternate picking, sometimes economy picking, sometimes legato, whatsoever.
    And the funny thing is, one technique builds upon the other, and after all it is just plain disciplined practice.
    No matter if that is good or bad.

Additionally i remember one of my teachers say that being able to accomplish 16th notes at 160 bpm should give you headroom enough to make it through most of the tunes out there and that it is a solid technique to keep you progressing in other techniques as well.

So, when your limit is like 130 at the moment, i suggest more and disciplined metronome work with whatever exercises you do. (post them if you like!)
    If you are able to play stuff at 160 bpm you can start to establish other techniques that build upon alternate picking.

You'll make it - others did as well... even me!
    Last edited by phantom; 03-08-2007 at 07:40 AM.

rr

God! Thank you so much!
    That was so helpful and inspiring!

Great playing dude!

Oh thanks !

Glad to know it helped a bit - keep telling us about your progress or if we can help with exercices etc.!