Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Concept of Counterpoint

Concept of Counterpoint

Hey
    There is something about counterpoint that seriously boggles the muffin brain within. When we are going to do whatever species counterpoint we write the cantus firmus (the main melody), am I correct so far? Then we choose notes to go over the cantus firmus on the basis of interval quality and motion, thats correct so far, right? And each note over the corresponding cantus firmus note is governed by interval quality and the relationship between the following notes is purely on the basis of motion, is this is correct too? So have I got a grasp on how counterpoint works? If not, I may consider having myself sectioned

regards
    Marius

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Did you write anything

Quote Originally Posted by Malice-Mizer
    Hey
    There is something about counterpoint that seriously boggles the muffin brain within. When we are going to do whatever species counterpoint we write the cantus firmus (the main melody), am I correct so far? Then we choose notes to go over the cantus firmus on the basis of interval quality and motion, thats correct so far, right? And each note over the corresponding cantus firmus note is governed by interval quality and the relationship between the following notes is purely on the basis of motion, is this is correct too? So have I got a grasp on how counterpoint works? If not, I may consider having myself sectioned

regards
    Marius
    Did you expirement with writing any short pieces. The cantus firmus is intented to be short and serve as a lesson in composing with these counterpoint concepts.

Always keep the cantus in whole notes and species 1 is whole against whole..Species two is whole against half, species three is whole against quarter and then you combine all timing.

The cantus firmus can be on the bottom or top. Here is a little attachment where I made the cantus firums the bottom melody and then I messed around witht the harmony on top..

See attached..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Joey D