Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your most common band arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by jade_bodhi
    One drummer had the nerve to tell me that when I sang I should "shake it."

That made me giggle! Sorry...!

One funny "argument" i had a few weeks back was that the singer was totally wasted while we were playing our 2nd and last set one night und ****ed up ALL songs (it was our first gig together). The day after it all he had to say was "I knew we had rehearsed too less songs, if we had more we would´ve succeeded!" I guess you can blame ANYTHING if you only want to...... The main problem was that he cant sing at all, yet insists to, since it his "band" and me and the drummer were only helping out......We´re gonna play a few gigs more soon, not sure if i should look forward to them...
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

http://www.myspace.com/alexsiedlermusic

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Most famous band with PA owner (DLR) and two siblings must be Van Halen .... LOL. Look, where did it get them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen
    (look at beginnings ...)
    Thanks Blutwulf, for this insight.

haha Blutwolf.... That is so true.
    I am admitedly one of those carnegie hall types... Except I don't want to go "all the way" with the band I'm in, even though I'm the one that freaks out when one of our songs isn't half as tight as it should be..... phew.
    But I also fall into the P.A. Owner and I have a brother in the band, so we make a pretty formidable team.
    Yet unfortunately the lead singer and keyboardists are brothers too but are a lot more control freak (throws crying fits when one doesn't get its way etc.)
    Usually the arguments center around our lead singer and our keyboardist (the other brothers). It usually involves the Lead singer telling the keyboardist how to play something... or telling the drummer how too play something even though he can't play drums... at all... I don't think he even has rhythm... hmmm... And he plays guitar so he always wants all the leads so he plays over everybody when we're having a band discussion. That is a day in the life of my band.

I'll probably have stomach ulcers by the time I'm out of this band.
    Last edited by HTD; 06-27-2007 at 04:10 PM.
    HTD

Artistically Bankrupt
    If you already anticipate being out of it, then why put yourself through ulcers? Jump ship.

Or...

Or you can all get in a room and discuss what "critique" means. For instance, the singer who cannot play drums or keyboards almost certainly is talking about mood and style rather than notes, beats, and pitch. If he is phrasing his input poorly, then that is a communication thing - it isn't a messiah complex. As a cheap example, a conductor in an orchestra doesn't actually shout out notes and technique to the orchestra. They direct effects. None of the floutists get offended when the conductor tells them to soften their loud asses as they get higher in pitch.

We all have elements in songs we like and expect to hear. Tension, crescendoes, muting, mood, etc. When a bandmate is carrying on and telling us to play something a different way, they usually are not telling us how to play our instrument. They're saying that they missed something. One doesn't need to play an instrument to know if someone is playing something too weakly, fast, mechanical, etc.

When a bandmate tries to tell you that you're playing something "wrong," they are actually telling you that you are missing the "thing" the original artist added which made it enjoyable for them. (Or, if they wrote it, what they were shooting for.) If you recorded yourself and listened, 90% of the time you'd agree with them. They are not saying that you are unlearned, or that they are better musicians, or that they are ubah and you are teh suxxorz, or whatever.

It is all about the "thing." Of course, if none of you are emotionally equipped to handle critique, then I cannot recommend trying this.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Yeah, like when the singer tells you to play with a more "raunchy" vibrato.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Mostly, my band argues about wehter or not to play cover songs. I am for it, as the audience gets more excited when they hear a song that they recognize and like. I think we should cover some songs and slip in our own here and there. The other guitar player disagrees and wants to be totally original. I think being totaly original is fine once people know your songs, but not when your playing for a crowd for the first time.
    Other band members are split.
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, Judgey-Wudgey"- Curly

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

on committment

I joined this band in 1984 and the bass player had a little side gig going on with this polka band. He only played out with them once a week but made good money doing so.

When we formed the band I joined with him he promised us that he would dedicate all his time to our new band and quit the polka deal once we were officially gigging in clubs.

So, we start playing clubs after 6 solid months of rehearsing and developing 4 good solid sets of music. He never did quit that polka band though. The problem was that we were forced to turn down some great gigs because he had committments with his stupid side gig.

Oh well, we all disbanded after a year of hard drugs and partying too much anyway so I guess I can't put all the blame on him.. Nuff
    Joey D

Band Arguments

My old band lasted five years, the bass player was my oldest (and of my best) friends. We all got on outside of the band brilliantly but every band practise was hell and full on screaming/arguing simply because we all came from different music backgrounds and we each wanted the band to be something different.

Weirdly the fighting, screaming and arguing and the hugely different music backgrounds ultimately gave us a unique sound and we never did quite sound like any of the other bands on the circuit. We somehow over the five year life of the band recorded two albums and one e.p …. and looking back I now miss every second of it.

So if your band argues a lot maybe its not such a bad thing.

Damon
    Last edited by Sub-Lingual; 07-06-2007 at 09:34 AM.
    ... and now i'm addicted to root beer!

I am in a metal band so the arguments are generally involving whether/where melodic singing should be put in the songs.

Also, in some sub-genres of metal there's a strong emphasis on technical ability, and I practice a whole lot due to this but also because I just love intricate and expressive music. So I will write something and my guitarist will come to practice stoned and not be able to play it because of that and because he didn't spend his time practicing, and I will get mad.

So I guess in general it's creative differences and differences in levels of motivation/dedication.

This is amazing. I never knew there were so many issues surrounding live bands. Particularly interesting is blutwulf's views. All I can say i's that none of these things have ever been a problem for me. Admittedly often Ill just turn up to the gig and play, we don't 'rehearse' on any real regular schedule. Also its not always the same band when I turn up. The closest thing to an argument we ever have is when I go a bit overboard with extensions during someones solo.

Truly amazing

As a great man said, alot of these people need to 'shut up and play yer guitar '
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

When the guitarist decides to play virtuoso-rock and can't play a whole song without screwing up.

Band arguments/practice setbacks in my current project:

1) Noodling. Incessant noodling.
    2) Chit-chat
    3) Going up town to buy food
    4) Rehearsing right next door to a pub

I agree with gender issues playing a big part in band drama. I played drums in a rockabilly outfit a few months back and we were all dudes except for our bassist who was a female and she was married to the lead guitarist which you'd think would make for even more drama but it didn't. Anyways, she was incredibly new to the bass and her sense of timing was a bit off while the rest of us had been playing and playing live for years. Whenever we'd play live she would get all of the attention. It didn't matter how well or poorly we had performed because she made us look cool apparently. This was tough because we all worked so hard to get to where we were and she just started playing, kinda sucked, and got all the praise. I never thought of myself as a sexist person but I had to believe that her gender was what made her stand out. Her stage presence was hardly there and her abilities on the bass were elementary, but she was a hot chick with a bass.
    I agree that gender can play a big role in a bands inner workings and drama. I suppose it's different for each band though.

Current issues in my current band:

1.Practicing at home for a successful rehearsal. No one does it.

2.Constant cancelling of rehearsal due to wives, kids, jobs, life.

3.More playtime than playmusictime.

4.Brand new drummer who's new to drumming wants to sing too but can barely keep a beat.

5.Everyone wants to do songs out of our range.

6.Guitarist and drummer make the rhythm section while bassist plays what bassist feels like playing.

7.Getting everyone to shut up and start the song.

Ya know, sometimes I absolutely hate being in a band. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sounds familiar......our problem seems to be that we are a group of friends who were friends a long time before we started a band together. Our bassist is usually the problem - he's rather stroppy and thinks he knows everything. He has the least input into the band but disagrees and argues with most of what everyone else says, even though he is the least "musically minded" out of the lot of us. Problem is we are all friends so things are awkward - he's a friend but if we weren't all friends then he would have been fired by now.
    "5 good reasons not to practice: 1. There 2. Are 3. No 4. Good 5. Reasons"

Steve Vai