Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your most common band arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by Timestorm View Post
    Well.... i anticipated that 'eye' may come into it somewhere. I personally prefer it just left open. Nah...i'm not too sure about that 'eye' picture idea either. With regards clever responses - i'm probably not the best person to ask...maybe wait for JonR to post back with his reasons for liking #6 and see what he thinks about the 'eye' thing.
    I liked Pivotal on its own, actually, without the "i".
    But the "i" is good too, because it is ambiguous. It could be "i" as in "me", or "identity", or as in "eye". (And eyes pivot, of course , and it suggests a central viewpoint, with "I" (you) at the centre, seeing all round.) (Mind you, those alex grey images dukeofboom posted are dreadful, IMO - way too tacky.)
    There's also the spiritual reggae-Rastafarian connotations of "I and I", or their word "irie", which means "to be at total peace with your current state of being".
    Not to mention the old English "aye", meaning "yes" of course.
    That little letter "i" has plenty of implications!
    You don't need to explain it (or use a logo with an eye in it, too obvious IMO) - just the fact that it has those subconscious resonances is enough. The more mystery the better!

Mind you, the eye of horus is a good emblem, with plenty of symbolic weight - although it must have been overused by now:

I don't like #3, btw, New Era Invasion. It sounds too arrogant and all-embracing - could you live up to it? - while still being vague.
    OK, New Order got away with something similar (even tho it had unfortunate Nazi connotations, as did their previous choice Joy Division). Just "Invasion" on its own is better, although it's maybe a bit too ordinary, like an average heavy rock band - and I suspect it's been done*.

*EDIT: Uh-huh, here ya go:
    http://www.the-invasion.com/
    Last edited by JonR; 10-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.

band arguments

Well I guess it's just my only gripe. A lot of guys argue when I tell them what time to show up to the gig. We usually set up our own PA system and that realistically adds one to one and a half hours set up time. (Sometimes two hours)

The band usually makes $200-$300 per person and that should be enough to show up early and help... right? (or stay late and put equipment away)

Ok... I feel better now.

Nice!

You're a wealth of good info, JonR. To think you're actually changing my opinion of P i v i t o l - i with your well-worded multi-interpretation of the letter "i" in this example. It is kinda mysterious, isn't it

Thanks for the link below regarding the invasion - guess we're kicking that one to the curb. lol

There's hope yet, JonR, there's hope yet

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    I liked Pivotal on its own, actually, without the "i".
    But the "i" is good too, because it is ambiguous. It could be "i" as in "me", or "identity", or as in "eye". (And eyes pivot, of course , and it suggests a central viewpoint, with "I" (you) at the centre, seeing all round.) (Mind you, those alex grey images dukeofboom posted are dreadful, IMO - way too tacky.)
    There's also the spiritual reggae-Rastafarian connotations of "I and I", or their word "irie", which means "to be at total peace with your current state of being".
    Not to mention the old English "aye", meaning "yes" of course.
    That little letter "i" has plenty of implications!
    You don't need to explain it (or use a logo with an eye in it, too obvious IMO) - just the fact that it has those subconscious resonances is enough. The more mystery the better!

Mind you, the eye of horus is a good emblem, with plenty of symbolic weight - although it must have been overused by now:

I don't like #3, btw, New Era Invasion. It sounds too arrogant and all-embracing - could you live up to it? - while still being vague.
    OK, New Order got away with something similar (even tho it had unfortunate Nazi connotations, as did their previous choice Joy Division). Just "Invasion" on its own is better, although it's maybe a bit too ordinary, like an average heavy rock band - and I suspect it's been done*.

*EDIT: Uh-huh, here ya go:
    http://www.the-invasion.com/

Ok, here's a couple new names.

1B) A l i e n N u d i t y
    2B) B r a i n T h a w

2B is opposite of Brain "Freeze".

*Please refer to them as 1B or 2B*

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PointingFingers View Post
    Ok, here's a couple new names.

1B) A l i e n N u d i t y
    2B) B r a i n T h a w

2B is opposite of Brain "Freeze".

*Please refer to them as 1B or 2B*

Thoughts?
    Difficult choice - because I don't much like either. I guess they're better than some of the first list, mind.

"Brain Thaw" is slightly better, maybe, but only slightly. If those are your only two choices, go for that one. (Changed your mind about "Pivotal-i"? )

As for the first one, I actually think "Nude" is quite a good band name on its own. "Alien Nudity" is just silly (IMO), like a something a pre-pubescent boy might snigger at, and only for a second or two at that. It's also quite a narrow concept - while being paradoxically vague at the same time.
    "Naked Alien" - for some odd reason - works better I think. Or even "Naked Aliens". Better because it's less abstract. Quite fun, because of course, you're not aliens, and you won't be naked. (Or ARE you??? and WILL you???? ) In a way, like that band (of guys) named Girls. Only better!

I believe that a band can fall apart so many ways its too easy to fail. But if you follow a few guildlines you can avoid clashes.
    1. Have a leader. Have someone who is the no doubt leader, if you have a democracy people will band together to get what they want, this can become a problem in everything you do from songwriting, band names, even how you play your music.
    2. Have rules. Know what music your playing, know what each band member does and make everyone gives the same amount of cash to the band.( You dont want to be pouring money into the band while evryone else doesnt give a cent)
    3. Always be open to playing different music. Just because you play a certain type of music doesnt mean you have to stick to it. Broaden your horizons

Those are all the problems I had in my first band, hope i helped.

Thumbs up Off Topic

Hi All

I began reading this thread to gain some insight into band member dynamics.... It has been really interesting and useful but has gone a little off topic, any chance we can get back to some discussions about band dynamics and share ideas about how to overcome issues please..........

*BJ*

The drummer hits progressively harder and faster. The guitarists have WAY too much distortion and our singer sings out of tune as she cannot listen herself over the "music". Man we suck!