Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making music flow

making music flow

I'm having trouble writing my own songs from a-b-c-d etc. I guess you can say I'm having trouble putting together a song as a whole. I can get b-d but coming up with bridges or intros got me stumped. maybe I should start off real easy?

I have never had anyone explain bridges in a way that I fully understood. Look forward to seeing what replies you get.

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar

chord map

I don't know if this will be a useful suggestion. You may already be further advanced than this information will go. I once downloaded a chart that showed how all the major, minor, and diminshed chords work together, in terms of flow. I don't know where I got this chart, but maybe someone can point you there if I describe it. It did not refer to specific keys.

Instead, it used the number system (I, ii, iii, IV, etc) to show how you could move from one chord to another. For example, with arrow diagrams, it showed you could easily move from I to V. It was a somewhat limited scheme, but it helped me get started. To use it to write bridges, one could just follow the arrow diagrams to discover pleasing progressions, varying number of beats, etc. One can follow any number of limitless "routes" or progressions on such a map. If you googled "chord map" you might locate it. Does anyone remember such a thing? It's possible I found it right here in the forums.

A caveat I probably should mention: Using such a chord-based method to compose a song definitely subordinates melody to harmonic structure. I never was good a writing a melody without a chord progression to guide me, so this method worked for me fairly well.

Below is an address for a site for a chord map. It's not as elegant as the one I refer to above; this one below seems overly-complicated. The one I refer to above was more simplistic and, therefore, limited, but because of those characteristics, it was also more usable than this one:

http://www.angelfire.com/music2/richhoncho/chordmap.htm

jade b.
    Last edited by jade_bodhi; 04-24-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

Simplicity is what I needed and you gave it. When I was reading your comment I thought to myself, "LOL duh" so that was entertaining as well as insightful. I'll go back to basics and stop shredding so much LOL. I got some chord theory in high school like the circle of fifths, but thats it. my main weakness is song structure second is song writing..since I only spend an hour a year on both LOL jk..kinda. thanks j.b.

looking for url

I have that chord map on my piano. It might even have the url listed on it. I'll look at try to remember to pass along the info.

Jade
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

it sounds like you might be talking about circle progressions. im not the one to explain them, but basically certain chords can either lead to the tonic or chords of a different classification in the scheme of circle progressions.

as for making music flow, i basically work within the pop structure, a lot of times i will make it even more basic and go with the stereotypical rap structure (though i dont make rap) which is 16 measure verses 8 measure choruses, for my bridge i will come up with a new chord progression, usually i can tell if it will be cool if i can play some of the main riffs over it even though they may not be played in that part.

another thing i should mention is the yin and yang, a phrase of music is either going to start with the tonic and end with suspense or start with suspense and resolve on the tonic, listen to a band like the bled, they are not standard pop format or even close to it, but you know that when it resolves its going to be good.

always remember (most of the time) 7th chords imply a turnaround

hope this helps

Hi there: I found the simple chord map. It's a page on that other site I listed in this thread. I think "The Simple Chord Map" is a lot easier to use, more applicable. It's not a circle of fifths, by the way. If interested or curious, go the link below and scroll down till you get to the diagram of the Simple Chord Map, which has an explanation of how to apply it listed below it.

http://chordmaps.com/part3.htm
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

LOL yeah I remember that the 7th is a turnaround chord. My teacher got up in our faces about that several times LOL. I've never heard the bled only a little part this guy in guitar class played over and over. sounded scary/annoying.

Thanks for the site. Jade didn't you have a music myspace page?

Quote Originally Posted by Heyjoe87
    Thanks for the site. Jade didn't you have a music myspace page?
    No, that must be some other person. I'm one of the few gen x'ers who isn't a computo-file. My parents, God bless them, raised me on a homestead. I didn't have TV or phone or electricity until I got out on my own.
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

well thanks for the advice Jade, and I hope to hear your music one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyjoe87
    well thanks for the advice Jade, and I hope to hear your music one of these days.
    I've wanted to post something on Ibreathemusic as an mp3, but I never could figure out how to do it. I always get a message that says the file is too big. Like I said, I'm not much of a tech person. I have a Mac powerbook. Any suggestions?
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

You can probably do it in parts. or get a program that makes the files smaller, but im not too familiar with doing that. You can make a myspace music page and upload mp3s to your music page. Thats the easiest I think. For example, I have one and its www.myspace.com/ananiasservanthood. lol my myspace page is a plain jane but it gets the job done ;D

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by jade_bodhi
    I've wanted to post something on Ibreathemusic as an mp3, but I never could figure out how to do it. I always get a message that says the file is too big. Like I said, I'm not much of a tech person. I have a Mac powerbook. Any suggestions?
    Jade, you need to keep the file size to 1.5M max!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    Jade, you need to keep the file size to 1.5M max!!
    But how do you do that? MP3s are usually bigger than that, even for just a two minute song.
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...