Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How *not* to play fast?

How *not* to play fast?

Noticed this guys Youtube vid, offering to show fast runs on the geetar. It's basically tremelo picking mixed with hammers etc. This is the kind of thing a kid tries early on so he can say "hey! I can play super fast already!". But the kid doesn't mention he has no control over what he's playing and it sounds god awful

The people posting comments think this guy is a god hehe

Anyway, just for your amusement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNNKz...lated&search=#=#

Amusing to say the least. Gotta remind all you good folks that he does not represent Canada's guitar elite!

i find this one of his to be even more amusing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMF76...elated&search=

couldnt be more basic, or more sloppy, and the face is priceless, and its not even fast at all.
    How dare them bury
    what should be mine
    My dead companions
    on which I dine
    Gravaged - by Lord Worm, CryptopsY

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    Dude one thing I cannot STAND is guitar players on you tube who think they're the **** on you tube and just post themselves shredding. Dude honestly play some**** worthwhile hearing.
    (enter catch phrase here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman
    i find this one of his to be even more amusing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMF76...elated&search=

couldnt be more basic, or more sloppy, and the face is priceless, and its not even fast at all.
    Youre right! But I really like the idea he came up with. Cool riff!
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

http://www.myspace.com/alexsiedlermusic

haha yeah, but at least he has some good intentions with his video. He's really trying to be a ggod teacher ;P

However, i just feel sorry for this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s651Nw_MDaI He really thinks he's a good player! My god i got depressed when watching that one..

Cheers!
    Why do today what you can leave for tomorrow?

I wont comment on the playing. Ill just ask whats up with youtube guitarists and black strats? Do they give you one for free when you sign up?

Okay, so, you guys, I have a questions about these players.

What sounds wrong with them and why?

The reason I am asking this, is that I haven't been playing for long enough to know exactly what to focus on when somebody (or I) play...and that sorta sucks because I can hardly form an opinion over both others' playing and my playing...

So anybody who feels like explaining this a bit to me that would be great.

(By the way, I did notice that the last player sounds really messy and wow, it looks like he has no control at all over is guitar, so I am not completly unable to form an opinion. Fortunately.)

ETA:BTW, I am not asking anybody to bash these guitarists out and go around decorticating their playing. Just general ideas about what to focus on when playing is pretty find too.
    Last edited by irinamarella; 05-10-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irinamarella

Well, the guy in this video above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMF76...related&search=

isnt a bad player - the "problem" is that he plays something hes not able to pull of 100% correctly. Dont get me wrong, the technique is there, but if hs playing is "super fast", as he claims, then he should put some thought into his approach - especially right/left hand syncronisation. If hed play everything slightly slower he probably wouldve pulled it of perfectly - he just seems to be playing a "bit" too fast for his actual ability..... But I dont wanna bash him, apart from what i mentioned hes playing pretty good, but if Id be him i wouldnt put a video of it on youtube... (Id use myspace.... )
    Last edited by leppard81; 05-10-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

http://www.myspace.com/alexsiedlermusic

^^Thanks leppard81.

I read your comment and went over to watch the guy again and I can actually hear what you are talking about. Which is a good thing, because I wasn't sure if I could do that.

You know, as I was thinking about that last guitarist, I realized something; he actually sounds a lot like me when I try to play something faster than I should. As much I don't like to entertain that idea, I think that I better face it and practice practice practice.

The reason I am asking this, is that I haven't been playing for long enough to know exactly what to focus on when somebody (or I) play...and that sorta sucks because I can hardly form an opinion over both others' playing and my playing...

(By the way, I did notice that the last player sounds really messy and wow, it looks like he has no control at all over is guitar, so I am not completly unable to form an opinion. Fortunately.)

ETA:BTW, I am not asking anybody to bash these guitarists out and go around decorticating their playing. Just general ideas about what to focus on when playing is pretty find too.
    When it comes down to it none of us really have the right to judge anyone but ourselves. If you want to compare your playing to anybody compare it to yourself. You can say I'm "this much" better than I was last year. People make the mistake of comparing themselves to other players and it really doesn't get you anywhere.

This fellow clearly has a lot to learn but there is nobody that hasn't got tons more to learn because it's really an endless quest. You're really better off not forming an opinion. As you advance you'll see and hear things that you like and don't like. If there is something about your playing you would liike to change it should become a goal to do so.

Hope this helps

Well, the real problem with the first video is that he is doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing for alternate picking. Your picking and fretting hands have to be working as a synchronized unit, where for every pick stroke one note is fretted. He's just picking as fast as he can and fretting as fast as he can, which results in double-picked notes, fudged notess, and just general sloppiness. Sure, it's an easy way to play fast but in the end it's just sloppy and sounds like crap.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    *sighs*

I don't see the point or the amusement in this thread...see it from another point of view....these guys area at least giving it a try...not caring about what peolple like us (or should i say "like you guys??") say about their playing...
    Instead of arguing about their playing which i think is worthless....why don'tcha go and practice your a**es off and work on your own limitations?? or even better...post a video at youtube and show them how it's done...

Another thing to have in mind is...we shouldn't open threads that lead nowhere but to musical enlightment...and this one's putting the light outta my mind...so Sven, Koala, Russ...anyone....be careful with this kind of threads and be sure to stop them dead in their tracks...

A long lost fellow,

David

well when the thread started I was thinking the same thing DemonSorcerer,

but I think it's in our interest(IBreatheMusic.com) to "pick our battles carefully"

because Irinamarella posted an excellent question, that could have this thread be "productive and educational", and "save the thread"

this is a valid question, and a reason(as long as different members of the IBreatheMusic.com community are respectful of the question) to keep this thread open, IMHO.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!