Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sects, Dregs & Rock N Roll DVD - Review

Sects, Dregs & Rock N Roll DVD - Review

Hey guys,

finally had a chance to watch the Steve Morse DVD... "Sects, Dregs & Rock N Roll".
    It features a lot of stuff, you can spend hours watching / listening.

First of all, thereīs a complete Dixie Dregs concert. The setlist is very cool, great playing. Unfortunately, the guitar is a bit low in the mix ( no, I donīt have a surround-system... I heard its supposed to be watched with surround ), sounds to me as if you can only hear the "wet amp" ( reverb )

Next, there is an absolutely awesome thing... the "acoustic / electric" show from New York, April 1992. This is worth the price of the DVD already. Steve starts out playing three acoustic pieces on classical guitar, incl. "Northern Lights" and "Picture This". His version of JS Bachīs "Jesus, Joy Of Manīs Desiring" is absolutely beautiful
    A lot of people arenīt even aware of his acousic work, and thatīs a shame. Great playing, great sound, very impressive.
    Song No.4 is some kind of a guitar-solo, called "Jamminī". Here, Steve does his amazing delay-stuff, where it sounds like youīre listening to 2 or 3 guitar players at once... a lot of Morse-trademarks are in here... the harp-harmonics, the pedal-steel sounds etc. Very cool.
    Next, Dave LaRue walks up on stage, and together they play three duets, i.e. "Point COunterpoint" and "Flat Baroque"

One of the best parts, to me, is the live-version of "Ghostwind". That song is one of my all-time favorite songs ever, and this live-version ( accompanied by a sequencer ) is great. Steve plays the violin-parts at the end on his guitar, itīs just beautiful.

For the last two songs, Dregs-keyboarder T.Lavitz walks up on stage. These songs are "Sparkle Plenty" ( a very pretty song ) and "Rocky Top", a country tune ( with some kick-a** solos by Steve, Dave and T. )
    Again, itīs a great show, and really worth the price of the DVD.

Also included on the DVD is a looooong ( over an hour ) interview with Steve. This is like a combination of
    - one of the most complete interviews with the man and
    -a private guitar lesson.
    Steveīs sitting in front of the camera, with his guitar plugged into a POD, and talks about early influences, getting his first guitar, working with the SMB / Dregs / Purple etc.
    He also elaborates on picking techniques, his gear, the setup on his guitars and much more.
    In between, he plays some really cool stuff ( parts of "The Well-Dressed Guitar" etc. )
    Awesome interview.

Furthermore, we get another short interview with excerpts from one of his workshops ( he talks about using dynamics, and compares a lack of different dynamics with "having a car with 600 horse-powers, which only has an "on/off" switch... would be hard to drive..:" I LOVE that ! =) ), a video of his guitar solo from the DP-live-DVD, a bunch of great photos, and an interview with Roger Glover and Ian Gillan.
    Last but not least, we get to see the promo-clip the SMB did for "Cruise Missile" 1984. Itīs a bit corny ( weīre talking 80s-style ), but itīs still great to see the original SMB-lineup ( Morse, Jerry Peek / bass, Rod Morgenstein / drums )

Well, I really like the DVD a lot. Thereīs so much cool stuff on it, itīs definitely worth checking out, whether youīre a Morse fan or not ( yet ).

Eric

Eric, thanks for the review!

I was contemplating buying this DVD and after your review I have to buy it now! I really want to see that interview/lesson.

It's only $22 US but I have to order it from Australia! Is that what you did? I'm not sure how this international stuff works and I don't want shipping to be a billion dollars

I saw it on eBay for about $25 but I'd rather buy it new.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Hey

Well, a bunch of friends of mine bought them at Dregs-shows. CUrrently, theyīre out of stock though. Maybe ordering of Ebay might not be a bad idea... check whether itīs a company selling them by way of Ebay.
    Sometimes, there are CD stores selling brand new CDs and DVDs on Ebay...
    And itīs definitely worth the prize
    Warm regards
    Eric

Originally posted by Bizarro
    It's only $22 US but I have to order it from Australia! Is that what you did? I'm not sure how this international stuff works and I don't want shipping to be a billion dollars
    You have to order from Australia? How ironic I have to order most of the stuff I want from the US... where in Australia are you ordering it from?

Abbotsford? I've never heard of it before.

http://www.sanity.com.au/product.asp...ntArtistID=828
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend