Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Classical music for guitar

Classical music for guitar

Hi guys that's me again !

I'm looking for some really nice and melodical classical music works for guitar
    (I know air on the G string and Pagganini's caprices)

They should be not really hard to play and not to easy but impressive and developmental (English isn't my first language, hope I'm understandable.)

Just want to take some break from electric stuff and build up my classic guitar skills.

Cheers, Marcin !

SteveH
    There's a decent collection on here http://www.powertabs.net/ if you have the right software.

Alternatively have a look here... http://www.classtab.org/

Personally I like Francisco Tarrega, "Recuerdos De La Alhambra" being my favorite piece by him. Expect to spend a few years perfecting it though!

Also Barrios Mangore, "La Catedral" is fabulous.

Steve

ps. I forgot to say, there are lots of midi files which will help you get an impression of what's going on, but you should try and get hold of some original recordings to see how amazing some of these pieces are.
    Last edited by steve0192; 07-02-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Eat yer heart out Altar

Classical Guitar Tablature

I didn't realize SteveH already posted this . . . .
    Last edited by MorningStar; 07-03-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Stupid

Classical guitar tab, that is by far the strangest concept I've ever heard.

To learn classical music, you really need to work on the music by reading the standard notation. This might just be my opinion, but tab circumvents the important points in the genre.

-CJ

It does seem a bit like blasphemy, but I guess if all you want is to develop your fingerstyle chops and learn a few nice tunes, it's alright. But Chris is right in that if you really want to delve into classical guitar, reading standard notation is a necessity.

Well, maybe not blasphemy but a little out of step with the point of classical music. It is about interpretation of the score so tab seems wierd to me. With popular music, you have a recording and listen to it and may use tab to allow you to learn passages you can't pick up by ear, sort of an aid.

But regarding classical music you aren't really expected to listen to the recordings and learn how to play from it (although it is a good idea to listen to the music and learn to appreciate each song). You are supposed to read the score (not even sight read it by the way), and interpret it. Ingest it from the written music and wonder how to bring it to life. Tab doesn't give enough insight to the music. And in all honesty, classical guitar, although difficult to master, is not so difficult to desipher from a normally written score. I can't find any logical reason to use tab.

Matter of fact, one of the best reasons to study classical music from written notation, is to teach yourself how to read music. Much of it written as excersises to carry you to the next level.

-CJ

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    I second that Chris. At least notation meant for students have also fingerings described in notation .. you know: which left hand finger to use for note and with which right hand finger (or thumb) to pick it ... so it's no that much harder that tab.Anyway it's my opinion taht tab is only frienly addition for normal notation, giving you fingering/fretboard position and some special electric guitar sounds. But addition only, not stand alone.

Ok so I see that my new "classical" passion is a great ocasion to lear reading music. I always wanted to but never had self-disclipline enough .

I would love to have recordings of electric guitar with distortion neck or bridge pickup I like both playing romantic period violin concertos like paganinis concertos 1 and 2 and wieniasky.......... Ive played with those a little and the violin parts sound really nice on guitar with alot of vibrato. Im not sure if I want to do that or compose neoclassical rock cuz I like both alot.

I like the work of this composer;

Satiago De Murcia

http://www.baroqueguitar.net/de_murcia.htm

Do you mean on a classical guitar, or classical music on a electric guitar?

If you mean classical guitar, check diary of a madman and dee by Randy Rhoads(I know, not real classical, but very melodic).
    And all the people, that hear it, always get blown away.