Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: how great guitarists mute

how great guitarists mute

hi all,it's good to be back to ibm after a long time.i had posted a thread about muting issues that i was facing with my electric guitars.now i have a question.
    one of the users suggested to use both hands for muting.i'm still working on it.
    my question is,how do celebrity guitarists mute to prevent unwanted string noise?like how does steve vai,paul gilbert,john petrucci,vinnie moore,tony macalpine mute?does it have anything to do with their rig?i'm curious....

p.s: i saw in a video in which joe satrinani was saying he mutes idle treble strings by touching them with right hand fingers when he leaves them....(too troublesome for me,works for him i guess).

"I second-hand smoke two packs of cigarettes a day." -- Jerry Seinfeld

often theres a certain amount of impact by the equipment and setup players use. Sometimes it will give for less unwanted noise, sometimes more. Recordings will sound even better since engineers can do marvels with eliminating more unwanted noise.

Generally speaking though using your palm or little finger to mute them is common. Same with your fretting hand. Any fingers that are not immediately fretting a note can be put to other uses.

Sometimes with picking etude's that are played in 1st position and involve alot of open strings. I will fret a note then when i release it. While one finger is going for the next note, another will be ready to slightly touch that open string to prevent it from ringing out if i pulled away too quick. It can be difficult to coordinate a fretting finger and a muting finger at the same time but it certainly pays off in the end.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

dear graypianosflying,i've seen this thread before,as it was suggested to me to resolve my problems earlier,but now i'm not talking about my problem,rather i wanna find out how great players do it.thanks btw.

I'm assuming most of them do something similar.

Funny thing actually. I was reading a guitar mag in the library today and there was an interview with The Great Kat in it. During the interview she says that she plays with her fingers perpendicular to the strings like with a violin, rather than laying them flat to mute.

She must be crazy with her picking hand then hehe. I thought it was interesting

Just a thought. If you wanna know more about a particular player. Considered writing to them? I'm sure they would be happy to respond.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.