Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: An improvised piece

An improvised piece

Here’s an improvised piece I recorded on my PC recently:

http://www.myspace.com/2cabs2toucan

I started with an A minor chord with delay effects over a drum loop, playing the top strings muted and throwing in hits on the lower strings - latter picking out individual notes. Over that I played a bass line on my guitar – elements of which I am not so happy with. Before the final take I had come up with a melody that I liked and while playing the piece I consciously tried to build towards it then develop it. The scale pattern I used mostly was C major or is it A minor? – I still haven’t got to grips with that part of theory.

I am learning a lot from this type of exercise through unplanned but pleasing results. For example I like the way the repeating C note on the lead works against the falling A,G,Gb,F bass pattern.

I am 40 years old and have picked up the guitar again after around 15 years. I feel I have improved a lot in the last 8 months. I know I have a long way to go but I am finding the journey a lot more fun these days. I have been regularly reading the many helpful posts and tutorials on this site and would love to hear any comments people may have.

I enjoy the simplicity in this track. It has a very 'dark side of the moon' vibe at the start. Then it moves into a more mellow 80's rock feel. Diggin It! Perfect example of less being more if you ask me. Keep em comming.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Excellent work in the recording. It sounds as good as anything a pro would do.

And, I agree with Joe P.; the simplicity is a good decision. Clean and uncluttered.

And I like the descending bass line also, though perhaps make it a tad more "thunderous" in the mix.

Thanks for the encouragemnt, both of you. I am very pleased with the sound quality that can be achieved with such minimal hardware. I would love to be able to mess around more with the production on this but it was built up in layers to become just a one-track file. My PC is not quite up to real-time multi-track recording with VST effects and I haven't got the time to learn how to produce my stuff right now. I am trying to collaborate with a musician I met online who can do this kind of thing and look forward to seeing how this works out.

I've played minimally with the effects on my amp (Roland X20; I would have got the 15 but this one has a tuner in it); not enough, or with sufficient volume, to really get an aural handle on them. But I do like, and use a leave on, a little delay. Funny, it's the one I anticpated using the least, or not at all.

Gad, when I was doing this in the old days (when amplifiers were hydropowered, and walking to school was ten miles, and uphill, both ways), there was reverb and tremelo. Or neither of those.

I did lead us onto hardware (against forum rules) - sorry about that. Let's just close by saying I am going straight into the PC via a pedal. To try and bring us back on track, I find experimenting with tone can provide inspiration for improvisation and helps to break out of familiar paths.

Quote Originally Posted by iskendertime
    I did lead us onto hardware (against forum rules) - sorry about that. Let's just close by saying I am going straight into the PC via a pedal. To try and bring us back on track, I find experimenting with tone can provide inspiration for improvisation and helps to break out of familiar paths.
    . . . and I was going to ask your setup so I could include that in my thinking.

That was pretty awesome and minimalistic. You should try that out with a volume pedal (or us the knob, whatever) and use a slide for some parts, that would sound pretty fantastic.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion Strat. I haven't experimented with a slide for some time and it could be fun.