Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Chord Progression and Direction

A short musical example with a little extra stuff along the same lines
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jed; 10-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc8p
    Great post-mortem! It's a good way to look at chord movement, and gets your thinking out of the confines of a key. The minor sub-dominant is a great chord to use if you want to relax the slightly sickly sound of strict 7-note major key progressions.
    I think a lot of people learn theory as something seperate from the notes and intervals. This results in a disconnect that shows up in weird ways later on. I was taught theory in terms of how the individual notes relate to the key first. Later names and Roman Numerals were applied to describe what the notes did and so we could apply this new inforamtion in other keys more easily.

Something like: II-7 V7 is short hand for the various different ways to move individual voices defined by the notes of the II-7 (the 2, 4, 6 & 1 scale degrees of the key) to individual voices defined by the notes of the V7 (the 5, 7, 2 & 4 scale degrees of the key).

But if you only learn this stuff interms of chord types (guitar voicings / shapes), you'll never understand what the notes are or what they actually do / how they work. Even thinking in terms of scale degrees is just a short-hand way to define a system that works for all keys. But you still have to study / learn this stuff in terms of individual notes in one particular key to understand what the numbers, roman numerals and names stand for. Otherwise it's like talking to someone and using complicated language before you really know the definitions of those words. It seems to me a lot of people don't understand the basic definitions of theory concepts and hence don't understand what these upper-level constructs represent.

cheers,

Cool

D Gm Fsus4 F BbM

Just another example from a scale rarely heard of.

Thank God for chord generators
    Last edited by dublshot; 10-26-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: adding

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dublshot
    D Gm Fsus4 F BbM
    I suppose BbM is Bbmaj

I can see chords from G minor; while D is from G harmonic minor.
    Ok, since Bb is the last chord, it will sound Bb major, with D instead of Dm. D being borrowed from G harmonic minor...

Not exactly uncommon I would say.
    Last edited by LaughingSkull; 10-26-2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: corruption of spilling

Thank God for chord generators
    Don't do that. It's not good for you. You know how chords are generated?
    No? Find out or ask (here).
    Yes? practice generating them yourself! You can do that even waiting for bus, so no time wasted ...

When you can access every chord/scale there is, borrowing is a needless, tedious, juggling act. But to each his own methods.

And yes, I know how they work: mode math, chords from scales, and scales from chords.
    Last edited by dublshot; 10-26-2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: adding

When you can access every chord/scale there is, borrowing is a needless, tedious, juggling act.
    needless: ; everything in music is needless, we do it because we want to. we know that good music can be made of just one or two chords (So What), and with single scale (Mary has a litle lamb ), but I personally enjoy key changes and stuff, borrowing a chord or two can add spice to your harmony.
    tedious: no, not really. I enjoy it.
    Juggling act: cant get that one, if it is -- who cares.

But to each his own methods.
    yep. perfectly right about that.
    I got the impresion that, you wanted to say that progression:
    D Gm Fsus4 F BbM
    comes from a single scale. If that is so please, enlighten me cause I am always eager to learn.

Its the G Mela Varunapriya. I love those 'exotic scales' and how they contrast to the more common neighboring scales.

I believe that there is a scale behind ever phrase of music expression, so when you borrow from another scale, you are most probably completing the progression and defining the scale that its really in.