Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Holding the pick

Hybrid View

Running with the devil... Rock_Rocket's Avatar

Holding the pick

Hi there,

I wonder what's the best way of holding the pick. Firmly or losely (hope you understand what I mean )? I discovered that if I hold the pick losely, it drops easier but my picking is also way more relaxed. What would you recommend?

Regards!

Rock_Rocket

Central Scrutinizer

Both :)

Actually I think the tricks to hold the pick fairly secure with the thumb and fingers while keepin your hand relaxed at the same time. Kind of an oxymoron.
    Try griiping the pick firm and shaking your hand/wrist as if strumming. Feel the relaxed nature of the hand/wrist yet the security of the pick going no where.
    To myself the key is comfort and balnce. Once you feel comfortable with how you hold the pick it just more or less stays there. I don't hold the pick nearly as hard as I used to years ago.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

i would suggest using your fingers.

after trying to use the armpit, and anus, which was quite painful, i have concluded that the fingers work best.

Here's an article by Eric, check it out...

99 Ways To Pick
    Greg

I definitely recommend you read erics article. In my case It depends on what im trying to achieve, how hard ill hold the pic. But a relaxed firm is what i usually do to play fast, clean and efficiently.

Mod
    you must find the middle path ........halfway there sorta thing for me, not tight, not loose

Running with the devil... Rock_Rocket's Avatar
    i would suggest using your fingers.

after trying to use the armpit, and anus, which was quite painful, i have concluded that the fingers work best.
    Thanks a lot, jesse suton. I hope you don't believe that to be really funny. Here at Ibreate, we're trying our best to help each other. So if you just wanna contribute that kinda s***... there are definitely better places to do so than this wonderful forum.
    Replies like your's are really superficial so leave us alone with that.

Rock_Rocket

oh come on... it was a little funny.

Although it would be really bad if there were comments like that all the time, so I agree 100% with you.

Mod
    Don't decapitate the man, just a simple slap on the wrists will do. I don't want this place to turn into a ..place that everyone flames people saying your and idiot, jeez why do you come to the internet to do that man?? Hopefully he knows whats up now. if not, we'll let him know later...???? just a thought, cause I know I hate reading in music forums where you have to sort through abunch of hate posts to get to material worth reading, Anyone else hate that???