Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Berklee Requirements?

Berklee Requirements?

I have some students who want to go to Berklee or GIT or some other guitar focused music school. Berklee has changed their entrence requirements, but I'm unable to get a copy. Admissions won't be specific - they just tell me there is a live audition.

Anyone here attended Berklee within the last 5 years? Can you shed some light on audition requirements?

Thanx in advance!
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    www.skinnydevil.com

"...embrace your fear..."

I'm sure it has to be your own piece it has to also be under some time frame.

THat's it, you can also send your recording through video to them.

Are you certain? What's the time limit on the song?

Are you sure there are no other knowledge or skill-based requirements?
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    www.skinnydevil.com

"...embrace your fear..."

Last time I checked (I think it was back in 05) they wanted you to know:

Major, minor, dominant, half diminished and fully diminished 7th chords

One, two and three octave fingerings for 7th arpegios

One, two and three octave fingering for major and minor scales (I would assume that includes melodic and harmonic minor as well) there was no mention to whole tone, chromatic, augmented or any of the other symmetrical scales.

There was no repertoire requirement but you are asked to perform a song that showcases your technical ability in your primary instrument.

I was accepted (so it can't be that bad). The scholarship audition was the one where they wanted you to be freaking Steve Vai to get the ride (or maybe I suck and that's wht I didn't get it ).

The guy I spoke with back then told me flat out that to get in (without a scholarship) is easy but to stay in is hard. I guess they have a lot of people dropping out.

This is what I remember. I hope this helps.

-Jorge
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Dang, I just went in and they HAVE changed everything. But I guess the requirements are still the same right?
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I just got off the phone with Berklee Admission:

Berklee does not have entrence requirements along the lines of what Forgottenking2 listed. You don't get into Berklee based on an arbitrary set of skills. You get into Berklee by demonstrating musical talent and apptitude.

The application is general and only intended to provide the admissions office with a "first-cut" or redirection option. If the application is reasonable then you go to the "Interview & Audition" phase. Here you will perform a one or more pieces that you have prepared that highlight your skill and level of play. As part of this process they will ask about lots of things to try and determine whether you are a reasonable candidate for one of their programs and if your goals match the things they can offer.

Berklee has limited space and many people that apply. If you are interested in the Pro Music studies and can play well then the chances are very good that you'll get in regardless of whether or not you can recite any theory or play multi octaves of any particular scale.

I applied to Berklee back in the mid-70's. Because I had no prior musical training to speak of, they recommended that I attend a 12-week summer course (designed for people that had talent or aspirations but no training). My performance, musically and acedemically, during that course satisfied the "Interview and Audition" requirements and I was accepted the following fall term.

The reason you can't get details out of Berklee regarding specific skill requirements is because those skills alone aren't good enough to get into Berklee and if you can play well enough those skills don't matter.

The requirements that FG2 listed are more like "guitar skill level" definitions designed to help with private teacher placement. Berklee has many different "levels" that they use to categorize the skill level of various players. The requirement's listed by FG2 are a very high level skill set.

cheers,

The actual performance requirements are known only to the interviewer and change from semester to semester dependent on how many applicants they have. If not enough people apply, then anyone can get in. If thousands apply and they only have room for 300, well then . .. . it's the best 300 that get in.

If your student can play well and has had a history of serious training then I'd be surprised if he'd have any difficulty getting in. If he's a monster on the axe then he won't need anything else. Just remember, just as in real life, it's not how long you've played or how much education you've had that matters. All that matters is can you make music and at what level.
    Last edited by Jed; 12-05-2007 at 07:44 PM.