Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Thrash/Shred Rhythm Ideas

Thrash/Shred Rhythm Ideas

Hello again all! I’ve heard some mention of galloping rhythm around the boards recently and it reminded me of some rhythmic pattern approaches I worked out a few years ago. So, I took some time this morning and typed of this power tab file of what I call “rhythmic building blocks.” Basically, they are just 1 and 2 beat rhythmic ideas (made of 8th and 16th notes) that I heard again and again when I was learning thrash rhythm. Run through these little rhythm patterns and get a feel for them, they might inspire you too write a new riff or just help with getting in the groove. Patterns such as these show up a lot in thrash and shred riffs especially in the works of Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Fear Factory, In Flames, Iron Maiden, and hundreds more. The 1 beat ideas are the little galloping things everyone is probably familiar with. The 2 beat ideas are constructions that are not just simple combinations of the 1 beat ideas. In other words, I didn’t include 16-16-8-16-16-8 as a two beat idea since it is just two 1 beat patterns of 16-16-8. In the file each pattern is played slowly with a percussive sound so you can lock into that pattern’s rhythmic feel. This is followed by and example riff using that particular pattern. Rehersal signs A through K show the patterns. Example L is a riff that is randomly thrown together from the patterns, it doesn’t sound too bad but is a little uninspired since it is just a random construction. Example M includes rests and has that machine gun style feel like a Fear Factory song or something. It uses the patterns too, see if you can identify each one.

Well, hope you find something useful here.
    Wyll
    Attached Files Attached Files

I love it, Wyll
    Now im off to practise

Yea Wyll,

Great excercises! Thanks!

Zatz.

Yep these are great exercises , especially all those different rythmns on the E string,thx a lot

Very good stuff, thx.
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/