Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi, new fellow musician here, I've stumbled across these boards in search of new things to try and enhance my lifelong study of music, and this community seems mature and insightful.

Some background, I've been a drummer for most of my life, (I'm 32) and picked up the guitar some 13 years ago, and began writing songs. I've reached a point where im ready to start going beyond the level I am at and take my playing a step up. I play metal but I also like a good selection of rock, and acoustic material as well.

See you around!

Welcome JustinR. See you around the forums!

Yes, welcome. I think you will like this site.

welcomme!
    G'day Mate
    Willkommen
    Bienvenue

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Welcome aboard Justin!!!
    Enjoy your stay and don't be a stranger in the forums!!!

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Wellcome, I am very interested in drum programming. Perhaps you, as a drummer (do you still play?) could shed some more light ...

Laughing Skull,

Yes I still play the acoustic kit, but not much in the last couple of years as frequently, I'm not sure what the medical term is for it, but anytime i do anything fast and repetitive with my knees (such as double bass runs on the kit) it just grinds and gets icy hot, so I focus alot more on programming these days, and trying to avoid carpal tunnel playing the guitar

I use Sony's "Acid" program to make drum beats, from samples i've taken from my acoustic kit, and my keyboard (and others I've come across on the web) and generally do all my multi tracking with that. I've used other programs though to make beats too, "orion pro" was one that was more dance oriented that was pretty simple to learn, more like a drum machine.

Not sure if thats what you were talking about, or if you were interested in how to put good sounding beats together, etc, lemme know, maybe i can help, I've studied drumset pretty extensively (jazz, big band, funk, rock, metal, orchestral percussion, african polyrhythyms, etc)

and to everyone, thanks for the warm welcome, this place is a treasure trove of useful material!