Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: writing songs

writing songs

when a musician/guitarist creates a song does he write the lyrics first and then put music to the words or does he create the music first and then look to add lyrics?or is the first step creating a rythmic progression and tempo? thank you! Peter

This is very SUBJECTIVE

Do you put on your left shoe or right shoe first?
    Do you put your socks on in the same order?

The answer is both this depends on who is writing and what inspires him/her to write/create.

All of the above could be true, or not.

I have written words to existing music and music to existing words, also I have started a tune from the rhythm side.
    What anybody else does? No Clue.

Ask a question that someone can answer!

yeah, szulc is right. There's no answer to this question.

What it comes down to is an initial idea. This could be a rhythmic pattern you pick up somewhere, a simple melody ya whistle in the shower, a single chord ya find quite interesting, lyrics that inspire ya musically, a movie that needs a score, a playstation game, a musical, a ........................

Guni

I wholly agree with Szulc and Guni.
    I for one have come to a strong belief that the very first thing you gotta have to start from to write any piece of music is INSPIRATION. There is yet another way to compose - just come up with an interesting harmony - say take a fancy chord progression with lots of alterations, modulations, substitutions etc, impose a wave-shaped melody line upon our pervertible background and wait for what comes out. Is this music that comes close from your heart? Never! As I'm professional programmer I once gave birth to a software intended for automating this process. Guess what I said when I listened to this "masterpiece". Nothing polite nor ear-friendly
    What one needs to write music is inspiration or at least a strong urge to create something beautiful (or maybe ugly and revolting).
    Let math and music co-exit not interchange. Anyways, if anyone succeeds in creating mathimatical model (neural network or something else) wrapping up music creation proccess I will be the first to contribute to the development of this project
    Listen to your soul!

Very best regards and loads of inspiration to all of you!

Zatz

hehe, cool reply Zatz. Let's see when we first see this 'INSPIRATION' button within an application. This will be a mega seller

btw: what's ya programming expertise? (sorry for changing the subject here). I'm just curious, as we do have a lot of members that seem to be programers / computer geeks and musicians (including myself ).

Guni

Guni, thnks. Yea LOL

There would be such input parameters as money you gonna hit with that song and the time you want it to last on Billboard charts

Well, my programming expertise includes mainly DB projects development and physical processes emulating. Now I work as an IT systems engineer at Motorola.

Computers must be the most musical thing ever Look - it has keyboard which might as well be used as drums when your PC hangs up or the software is buggy enough to make you smash it hard Chip pins instead of strings. Lots more let alone sound input/output digital/analog interface. OK - you gotta stop me here

Click an INSPIRATION button to compose or Lack of Talent to exit

So, are we going to start the project? Hey guys, join me and Guni

Ultra mega best regards,
    Zatz

Talking Geeks and guitars

Well, you know, you may be on to something.

I'm a techie myself. Not a programmer, but an avid june-of-all-trades. I've dabbled in a little bit of everything. People think I'm whacked because I work on pc's all day , then go home and work on them some more. It's tough, being a geeky girl.

At one time my system was running solely on BeOS. <wistful sigh> I think that OS is to pc's what Opera is to web browsers. A Good Thing. You folks *are* using Opera, right? If not, get it. Way, way cool.

Anyhoo, count me in on yer project.
    Music is Everything. -asi