Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: From Right to Left

From Right to Left

First i would like to say hello as i am new here.

I have a question:

So i have pretty much taught myself how to play and read (which im still learning to do) music. As i taught myself i learned chording with my right hand. As i watch people play most people chord with there left. how do i make the switch?

It's the same notes -- so -- just move down an octave or two and do the same thing with your left hand.

Right hand -- your thumb is on the root note of the chord. Now with the left hand -- your pinky will be on the root note of the chord.

It'll feel uncomfortable for awhile. Are you doing scales with both hands? It's a passage thing, just something we HAVE to do. Best way I know of to get our fingers doing what they must do on the keyboard.

http://www.cmmusicschool.org/pdfs/fingering.pdf
    The Art of Fingering - much more than you will ever need to know -- But, page three is what will help right now.

I have written these notes on the first page of Dr. Wirth's paper:
    RH thumb is 1, pinky is 5.
    LH thumb is 1, pinky is 5, so thumbs on both hands are 1's, indexes are always 2's, middle fingers are 3's, ring is 4 and little finger is 5.

Running two octaves of most Major Scale - because of the black keys, some are different, check page three to be sure:

RH - 123, 1234, 123, 12345 come back 4321 321 4321 321
    123 cross under with the thumb to grab the next 1234 then cross under again. Coming back the middle finger (3) crosses over.

LH - 54321 321 4321 321 come back 23 1234 123 12345
    Here the middle finger (3) crosses over-- and in coming back the thumb will cross under.

That will get your fingers doing what they must do --- now to work on having the left hand do something different than the right hand ----- run up scale using both hands. Your left hand will be doing 54321 321 and your right hand will be doing 123 12345 that little difference will start you on left hand, right hand coordination.

Good luck on your journey.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 05-23-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elivatedmind
    So i have pretty much taught myself how to play and read (which im still learning to do) music. As i taught myself i learned chording with my right hand. As i watch people play most people chord with there left. how do i make the switch?
    I was really freakin out there for a moment because I didn't realize this post was in the piano forum. Anyhoo, howdy and welcome to iBM!

I don't know if you really intend to make a *switch*, as in, do you intend to stop playing chords with your right hand?? I think it often sounds gorgeous to play chords with the right hand and play melody in the left hand. So even though you may have learned things backwards, I wouldn't abandon the right hand chording, as it can provide some uniqueness to your style.
    Peace