Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Les Paul's Birthday

Les Paul's Birthday

I got this announcement today:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY to: Guitar visionary Les Paul, who turned 83."

Amazing that he still plays at his club in New York.
    Janice

Yeah, happy birthday to Les Paul, a true inventor.
    Remember, this guy was probably the first guy to come up with the idea of a solidbody guitar with a pickup ( back then, the needle of a record player ) and he also was one of the most important trailblazers when it comes to multitracking !
    Eric

Central Scrutinizer
    Yea I saw a show on him a long time ago was real neat.
    The guitar part was of course cool. But I never at that time new about the multitracking. Was very intresting to hear him talk about it. That and his broken arm (I think it was) anyways he had the cast put on so he could still play.
    Happy-B Day LP
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

I just found out that Les Paul is actually 88 -- thanks, PK -- (not 83 as previously reported). Even more incredible at 88, wow!

Mod
    go les paul!!! and as far as I know, the only guy to have his signature guitar, become someone elses signature guitar later on. (I know its not exactly his "signature" guitar, but you get the idea)

Yeah, it was a weird story... he experimented with a solidbody-guitar design ( he took a solid piece of wood, attached a neck and two halfs of a semihollow to it, and slapped a pickup or two into that solid middle piece ), then offered it to Gibson.
    They weren´t too crazy bout the idea, and decided to put out a few guitars without Gibson on the headstock, just Les Paul.
    As we all know, it turned out to become one of the most popular electric guitars. Thanks, Les =)
    Eric