Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What s Your Favorite Music?

What s Your Favorite Music?

My favorite is country and so my umgd friend gave me a cd to listen to that she bought yesterday to see if I liked it. When I listened I actually loved it and she told me it was Randy Houserís new cd. I looked him up on his myspace.com/randyhouser page. I really like his music and I saw he also has a video up on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-Tx_83Hok. I want tog et the cd for myself now, Has anyone else bought it? If you havenít heard of him before, you should check him out if you like country music. Let me know what you think.

I am so eclectic that the only thing stopping my musical choices is if I haven't got a chance of finding out about something.

Everything else I love to listen to. I've been self-employed since I left university in 2000, and I spend most of my working day listening to music - usually stuff I've acquired, but youtube and other online upload sites can really give you a very wide selection of things to discover.

Plus on itunes you have so many radio stations to listen to.

Before i left Uni I had not really tasted even 1% of the varieties of music around - the most I knew of the blues was a bit of muddy waters, and as for things like reggae and soul... I had had my fill from terrestrial radio, but that doesn't go very far.

Nowadays I am amazed at the wide variety of tunes going in and out of my mind... from country and western to hindi bollywood tunes to everything but heavy-bass stuff - I get a bit of motion sickness from heavy bass music which is upsetting since The Prodigy are definitely one of the bands I'd be most likely to classify as "best in the world".
    equality doesn't come in parts

Lately I've been getting into a lot of Raymond Scott's early electronic music for commercials in the 50s, but I have pretty wide tastes. Some of my favorite, albeit made up genres are:

Death Jazz, Instrumental Hip Hop, Experimental Organ Prog, Harpsichord Fusion, Abba Nova, Techno Jig, Cool School Western, AmbiAdamAnt, Blues Core Square, Aleatori Amos, Kufala-Menko (Think Pearl Jam stylings crossed with Flamenco rhythms exclusively in the Hirajoshi scale), Neo-Reggaestential Power Anthems, Cosby Trills and The Clash, Appalachian Prairie House, Dick Clark Digeridoes Jane's Addiction and Classicalamity Jazz

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashlandHands
    Death Jazz, Instrumental Hip Hop, Experimental Organ Prog, Harpsichord Fusion, Abba Nova, Techno Jig, Cool School Western, AmbiAdamAnt, Blues Core Square, Aleatori Amos, Kufala-Menko (Think Pearl Jam stylings crossed with Flamenco rhythms exclusively in the Hirajoshi scale), Neo-Reggaestential Power Anthems, Cosby Trills and The Clash, Appalachian Prairie House, Dick Clark Digeridoes Jane's Addiction and Classicalamity Jazz
    Hahahahaa!!!

Just one that I didn't see there..........
    Springsteen goes South? BOSSa Nova?

listening to the newest from first to last

Quote Originally Posted by ClashlandHands
    You sir get the award for the first homo selectius conscius man.

And yet, there are so many real "genres" that I know next to nothing about, like Klez-Lit Rock.

i've really been getting into post-grunge lately for some reason...

I like mostly R&B and Pop. I've been getting into electronic lately though

i am a Jazz fan, i especially love Ruben Blades, in my opinion he is a Legend! i heard few days back this new singer Luba Mason. she is coming up with a new album 'Krazy Love'. the album is getting released this month only. she is wife of Ruben Blades. you can listen to a few songs on her Myspace. i am eagerly waiting for the album.
    http://www.myspace.com/lubamason

Ryan Adams.

from the album heatbreaker. If you like country, you will love this album.

Artistically Bankrupt
    Thanks to the age of downloading (illegal or otherwise free), I have a fairly interesting test for you to think about.

In a model wherein all music is free and not limited to a single music shop's inventory (that is, tons of available music at no cost to you), imagine that 100% of your music collection evaporates. Imagine that every single recording you own vanishes away.

Now then... What is the first song title you type up in the search bar when you begin to rebuild? What would be the first song you'd download? Be honest with yourself.

That is your favorite song. The same is true for the first act you look up.

I came to grips with "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Crofts being my favorite song and the band Kansas being my favorite act long ago. My favorite "music," it seems, is multilayered progressive rock from the 70's.

Edit - "Miracles" and "Runaway" by Jefferson Starship are close seconds to "Summer Breeze." So maybe I smoked the evil weed in my youth. Who knows?
    Last edited by Blutwulf; 01-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

I LOVE the idea of that scenerio Blutwulf! That was GREAT. would be a fantastic thread, maybe you should think about re-posting that in the cafe just as a seperate thread.

for me, the first song would be "In My Time Of Need"-By ryan adams. It's the only song I've ever listened to that made me cry. I've lived about half of my life away from my family, and now as I am currently residing away from them once more that song reminds me of home and seriously moves me. that would be number one right now.

but if you asked me tommorow it would probably be "Lua" By Bright Eye's.

However many others come to mind, so I think depending on the day I might type in something different everyday. I mean, littlewing would be WAY up there.

I think it would have to do with how I feel that day.

EDIT: however, I do download in full album formats only, I buy them from itunes, and cant STAND having just a song or two from and album. I belive albums are the only way to buy or download. So sticking to that strict rule that I have I would download Ryan Adams CD heartbreaker first. No question.
    Last edited by Carvinite; 01-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.

I mostly like punk and rock, and i mostly listen to american, brittish and croatian bands, in other words the ones i can understand. Sometimes i listen to some german bands.
    Some of my best bands are Rancid, NoFX, Pennywsie, SOAD, Godsmack, Pasi( a very good croatian punk-rock band), Six pack, Rammstain and many others.

wow...tough question.

I guess right now, I'm deeply into Ambient and Blues.

Old old Blues stuff like Albert King, Blind Willie McTell, Cornell Dupree, Etta Baker, Mickey Baker and the like. I find that the older blues stuff is my speed. The more modern stuff is too close to noodling (I can't stand noodlers).

Ambient stuff like Slowdive, Boards of Canada, Ulrich Schnauss, Cocosuma, Magic Sound Fabric, Zero One, Zero 7 and other music that is just dreamy and light.

The sucky thing is that it's hard to play along with in any of the scales that I currently know. I have to learn some of the more melodic scales so that I can play along. Cause pentatonic, major and extended pentatonic can't cut it...lol.

Dm