Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Notation Question

Notation Question

So I'm learning this piece by Francisco Tarrega from a book I have (trusted source). But I wasn't sure what to make of something I came across on the fret fingering numbers alongside the notes of the staff. It shows a note being fretted with a -2? Sure, 2 = left hand middle finger, but what's that - for?

I have a scanned picture of it, but I wasn't sure if that infringes copyright (just this particular arrangement, presumably Tarrega's music isn't copyrighted), so I removed it.

I'm only self-taught with reading music and classical music, so pardon my ignorance. I looked around and found this glossary of accents which includes a tenuto. Is that what it is in my example, or is it something else, or maybe even just a typo? As far as I can tell, out of a dozen other Tarrega songs transcribed in the book, this is the only example of it.

It's not terribly important...I've played through the piece regardless, but I was curious.
    Last edited by Rustee; 07-18-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: removed picture

Quote Originally Posted by Rustee
    I have a scanned picture of it, but I wasn't sure if that infringes copyright (just this particular arrangement, presumably Tarrega's music isn't copyrighted), so I removed it.
    If you cut most of it, and post just an small extract with the area that is relevant, I guess you will be ok with the copyright, and it will be helpfull in understanding your question.

Ok, and it's two measures, which is as close as I could get without totally losing resolution.

My guess is that the - is a typo. The fingering at that point did not fall as natural as on the rest of the two bars, so there may be more to it than I understand

Well thanks for giving it a gander gersdal. If it's not a typo (which it might very well be), my guess might be that since the same finger is fretting the previous note - C - on the 8th fret, it's somehow signifying that yes, you use the same finger on the same string but go down.

And should anyone be interested, I recorded it as well...not perfect mind you, but it's one take all the way through. It's a very short song, but I love it. And the part notated above is right about 0:43-0:48 I think.

Prelude - Tarrega

Well thanks for giving it a gander gersdal. If it's not a typo (which it might very well be), my guess might be that since the same finger is fretting the previous note - C - on the 8th fret, it's somehow signifying that yes, you use the same finger on the same string but go down.
    That's exactly right. The normal indication is a longer line - as at the start of the previous bar - so I think this is a typo of a kind (an incorrect line symbol printed, rather than incorrect letter).

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    That's exactly right. The normal indication is a longer line - as at the start of the previous bar - so I think this is a typo of a kind (an incorrect line symbol printed, rather than incorrect letter).
    Yes, yet the slanted lines you referenced are indicating a slide to the notes, and is also evidenced in the G to A slide immediately after the part in question. However with the C to B transition in question, each note is individually distinct (staccato the right term?). So I'm not so sure. However I am leaning more towards a typo, but not for that reason.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. As a matter of fact, I just realized I don't even follow that fingering suggestion anyways, as I use my middle finger on the C but my index finger for the B. Again, it's just more of an academic query.

Yes, yet the slanted lines you referenced are indicating a slide to the notes, and is also evidenced in the G to A slide immediately after the part in question. However with the C to B transition in question, each note is individually distinct (staccato the right term?).
    Not at all. There are no staccato marks.

Perhaps you're confusing a slide with a slur? In the linked notes in the previous bar, you should be picking both sets, not just sliding. If you were only supposed to pick the first notes (then sound the others with a slide alone), there would be a curved line (slur) as well as the straight ones.
    (Look at the grace note linking F# to A - not G to A! - in the second bar: there's a slide with a slur, meaning you pick the 7th fret note and (quickly) slide up to A without picking the A.)
    Last edited by JonR; 07-20-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Not at all. There are no staccato marks.

Perhaps you're confusing a slide with a slur? In the linked notes in the previous bar, you should be picking both sets, not just sliding. If you were only supposed to pick the first notes (then sound the others with a slide alone), there would be a curved line (slur) as well as the straight ones.
    (Look at the grace note linking F# to A - not G to A! - in the second bar: there's a slide with a slur, meaning you pick the 7th fret note and (quickly) slide up to A without picking the A.)
    Indeed, thanks for the correction.
    So in the end we're still left with a typo though?

Indeed, thanks for the correction.
    So in the end we're still left with a typo though?
    IMO, yes. It should be a long straight line down from the C to the B - like the lines in the first bar, not that short little hyphen.

I was thinking that maybe they're trying to make a distinction between a glissando - which happens in the first bar because there's a fret between the first and last notes of the slide (so the intervening note sounds) - and a simple half-step slide, where the gliss effect is absent (the hyphen indicating a fingering move only).
    But I haven't seen such a distinction before, and I have seen longer lines between half-steps in similar situations to this.
    (I was going to check my notation of this tune - in a published compilation - but I've packed up all my books for a house move in the next few days! )